noobie with some questions

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
November 7, 2004 6:02:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Canon Powershot S30 (a few years old now). I think
it takes really nice quality photos, but I'm interested in having more
control over the camera. Most of the subjects I shoot are landscapes
and occasionally some cityscapes (with more motion involved). Over
the next year or two I plan to purchase a physically smaller digital
camera for day-to-day shooting (maybe a digital elph?) and a more
robust (digital SLR?) camera for specific events.

Since I've been a Canon customer since before time began, I naturally
looked at the Rebel digital SLR, but I'm really not sure about how to
compare it to other cameras in terms of image quality, quality of
available lenses, overall camera quality, etc. My price range is
probably going to be around 1000 for the SLR and I've seen some
Digital Rebel packages on ebay for not much more than that with 3
lenses, 1GB memory card and a lot of other accessories. Am I headed
in the right direction? Are there other avenues I should consider? A
life vest would be appreciated, since I think I just jumped into the
deep end!

Also, any good websites explaining good basic technique would be
great! Thanks again.

John

More about : noobie questions

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:37:29 AM

"John" <cyric@spoh.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I currently have a Canon Powershot S30 (a few years old now). I think
> it takes really nice quality photos, but I'm interested in having more
> control over the camera. Most of the subjects I shoot are landscapes
> and occasionally some cityscapes (with more motion involved). Over
> the next year or two I plan to purchase a physically smaller digital
> camera for day-to-day shooting (maybe a digital elph?) and a more
> robust (digital SLR?) camera for specific events.
>
> Since I've been a Canon customer since before time began, I naturally
> looked at the Rebel digital SLR, but I'm really not sure about how to
> compare it to other cameras in terms of image quality, quality of
> available lenses, overall camera quality, etc. My price range is
> probably going to be around 1000 for the SLR and I've seen some
> Digital Rebel packages on ebay for not much more than that with 3
> lenses, 1GB memory card and a lot of other accessories. Am I headed
> in the right direction? Are there other avenues I should consider? A
> life vest would be appreciated, since I think I just jumped into the
> deep end!
>
> Also, any good websites explaining good basic technique would be
> great! Thanks again.
>
> John

Spend some time on sites like http://www.dpreview.com/ or
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ and
http://www.photo.net/community/index.

Use those sites and follow links that interest you from there and you should
learn tons in the next year.

Larry
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 1:32:54 PM

Since I have the drebel, let me try to respond to your question.

Image quality: fine Canon uses the same detector as in the 10D. I
routinely do 12x18 inch blowups. One difference between the drebel
and my recently purchased canon S500 is that the noise in the drebel
prints is much lower. At ISO 200 I cannot see any in my 12x18 inch
blowups. With the P&S 5 megapixel noise is visible in blue skies at
ISO 100 in blue skies.

Lens availability: enormous, huge selection of both Canon and third
party lenses

durability questionable. Mine has already been in for warranty
service. I figure I will keep it for about four years and then buy
the next model when it becomes obsolete. This mindset seems to have
infected the thinking at Canon.

Other issues: Some features have been disabled. These are
conveniences and do not affect picture quality.

Value: very good.

cyric@spoh.com (John) wrote in message news:<af3978b3.0411070302.5a1116c4@posting.google.com>...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I currently have a Canon Powershot S30 (a few years old now). I think
> it takes really nice quality photos, but I'm interested in having more
> control over the camera. Most of the subjects I shoot are landscapes
> and occasionally some cityscapes (with more motion involved). Over
> the next year or two I plan to purchase a physically smaller digital
> camera for day-to-day shooting (maybe a digital elph?) and a more
> robust (digital SLR?) camera for specific events.
>
> Since I've been a Canon customer since before time began, I naturally
> looked at the Rebel digital SLR, but I'm really not sure about how to
> compare it to other cameras in terms of image quality, quality of
> available lenses, overall camera quality, etc. My price range is
> probably going to be around 1000 for the SLR and I've seen some
> Digital Rebel packages on ebay for not much more than that with 3
> lenses, 1GB memory card and a lot of other accessories. Am I headed
> in the right direction? Are there other avenues I should consider? A
> life vest would be appreciated, since I think I just jumped into the
> deep end!
>
> Also, any good websites explaining good basic technique would be
> great! Thanks again.
>
> John
Related resources
November 9, 2004 1:47:42 PM

John wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I currently have a Canon Powershot S30 (a few years old now). I think
> it takes really nice quality photos, but I'm interested in having more
> control over the camera. Most of the subjects I shoot are landscapes
> and occasionally some cityscapes (with more motion involved). Over
> the next year or two I plan to purchase a physically smaller digital
> camera for day-to-day shooting (maybe a digital elph?) and a more
> robust (digital SLR?) camera for specific events.
>
> Since I've been a Canon customer since before time began, I naturally
> looked at the Rebel digital SLR, but I'm really not sure about how to
> compare it to other cameras in terms of image quality, quality of
> available lenses, overall camera quality, etc. My price range is
> probably going to be around 1000 for the SLR and I've seen some
> Digital Rebel packages on ebay for not much more than that with 3
> lenses, 1GB memory card and a lot of other accessories. Am I headed
> in the right direction? Are there other avenues I should consider? A
> life vest would be appreciated, since I think I just jumped into the
> deep end!
>
> Also, any good websites explaining good basic technique would be
> great! Thanks again.

Hi John. The Digital Rebel is a very nice camera. If your budget is
$1000 firm, then that may be your best bet. If you could go a few
hundred dollars more, then you might want to look at the Nikon D70. I
own the D70 - it is my first DSLR, and I am very happy with it. The kit
lens of the Nikon is better than that of the Rebel - though I use a 50mm
prime lens most of the time. You can't go wrong with either camera, but
it wouldn't hurt to research both models first. A third option for you
might be the Pentax *ist DS.

Have a look at a side-by-side comparison of those three models by
DPreview-

http://tinyurl.com/649qd

Whichever brand you choose, be sure to get yourself a 50mm prime lens
for under $100 - for high quality optics and great low-light
performance.

--

Thaddeus Lipshitz
November 10, 2004 12:45:45 AM

Thanks for the links and opinions, folks!

John
!