Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Psu and ups

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2013 6:11:33 PM

Hello,everyone ...im new to this forum ,im having a hard time in deciding the ups and psu required for my system..i already have a ups and a psu but, dont know whether that is sufficient!!
specs:core i7 3770k 3.5ghz
mobo:asus p8h77-m
gpu:amd 7970 shappire dual x 3gb
hdd:1tb seagate 7200rpm
sony dvd writer 24x
ram 8gb crosair veangence
cabinet:haf combat with 6 fans
psu cooler master thunder 700watts(planning to get crosair ax850)
ups:apc 1100va/660watt
1:whether the psu is sufficient or should i get the 850 watt psu as mentioned above?
2:whether the ups is holding for 700 watts,will it hold for 850 watts? (atleast to turn off all the programs and shut down fast)
note:had this rig for two days played every game at ultra ,used it heavily untill my motherboard gave away(replaced it and got a new one now ,did not install yet; waiting for the suggestions from this forum.... had heard many good things about this forum) whether this had something to do with my psu or ups?

More about : psu ups

a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 6:28:22 PM

Actual time for the UPS to supply power depends upon several things:
1) Actual load that is being drawn from it - the wattage of the PSU isn't the true load, this is a rating of maximum load from the manufacturer.
2) Condition of the batteries - the better the condition, the longer it will supply power.

That being said, actual power times before you lose power should be between 3.5 minutes and 15 minutes, given the two variables above.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 7:26:41 PM

The CM supply should work but has had issues lately with quality control. The corsair will work.

As said you will get 3-15 minutes on usage. I just use my UPS for power filtration and never plan on using the computer with the power out. If that is your desire you will be fine. If, however, you have frequent outages and want to keep playing then you need a very beefy ups and of course you need one on your router/cable modem too.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 7:27:02 PM

"gpu:amd 7970 shappire dual x 3gb" doesn't indicate one way or the other.

Are you using only a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card or are you using two Radeon HD 7970 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode?

When X-bit labs reviewed the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (SKU# CMPSU-850AX), they performed a UPS compatibility test with an APC SmartUPS SC 620 that outputs a stepped approximation to a sine wave when operating on battery power. It failed to switch over to the UPS's batteries during a simulated power interruption event. This usually indicates an incompatibility of the PSU's Active PFC circuit with the UPS. A pure sine wave UPS is usually recommended to resolve this problem.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2013 7:35:31 PM

ko888 said:

Are you using only a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card or are you using two Radeon HD 7970 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode?

When X-bit labs reviewed the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (SKU# CMPSU-850AX), they performed a UPS compatibility test with an APC SmartUPS SC 620 that outputs a stepped approximation to a sine wave when operating on battery power. It failed to switch over to the UPS's batteries during a simulated power interruption event. This usually indicates an incompatibility of the PSU's Active PFC circuit with the UPS. A pure sine wave UPS is usually recommended to resolve this problem.

Missed that review. Good input.
m
l
February 26, 2013 12:30:44 AM

ronintexas said:
Actual time for the UPS to supply power depends upon several things:
1) Actual load that is being drawn from it - the wattage of the PSU isn't the true load, this is a rating of maximum load from the manufacturer.
2) Condition of the batteries - the better the condition, the longer it will supply power.

That being said, actual power times before you lose power should be between 3.5 minutes and 15 minutes, given the two variables above.

1)it will be nearly 650 watts i guess!using a power calculator
2)they are in very good condition new one.
m
l
February 26, 2013 12:32:24 AM

jnkweaver said:
The CM supply should work but has had issues lately with quality control. The corsair will work.

As said you will get 3-15 minutes on usage. I just use my UPS for power filtration and never plan on using the computer with the power out. If that is your desire you will be fine. If, however, you have frequent outages and want to keep playing then you need a very beefy ups and of course you need one on your router/cable modem too.

as said i just use it to close and shutdown and here there is no frequent outtages.
m
l
February 26, 2013 12:34:49 AM

ko888 said:

no it is a single gpu with dual fans,i will never cross fire ;will be using one top tier gpu at a time...
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 1:27:01 AM

pavan_85 said:
no it is a single gpu with dual fans,i will never cross fire ;will be using one top tier gpu at a time...

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Cooler Master Thunder 700W (RS-700-ACAB-D3) power supply, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 55 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card. There is plenty of spare capacity available on the +12 Volt rail to handle any overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU you may want to attempt.

There is no need to upgrade the power supply unit.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 1:46:28 AM

That thread refers to a completely different power supply model made by a different OEM. They are not even remotely comparable so reading it doesn't tell the OP anything.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 1:49:57 AM

Oops but I could not find a legitimate review of that power supply - what does that say about that model?
-Bruce
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 1:59:04 AM

dish_moose said:
Oops but I could not find a legitimate review of that power supply - what does that say about that model?
-Bruce

The Cooler Master Thunder Series power supplies aren't available worldwide. They're only available in some places that run on 230VAC power. That's why reviews are sorely lacking. That also explains why they can't qualify for 80 PLUS certification.

Here's a review of the Thunder 600W model. It uses the same OEM as the Thunder 700W model. At least it can deliver its full rated power while maintaining noise and ripple well within spec.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=e...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 2:18:44 AM

I see the OEM Is Enhance Electronics - they do build some quality psus (including the one I own) but I saw it mentioned that some units used cheaper capacitors. Personally I would feel better if I could see a good review by a trusted site.
-Bruce
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:04:43 AM

so the supply unit is enough for my requirements?
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:07:55 AM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Cooler Master Thunder 700W (RS-700-ACAB-D3) power supply, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 55 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card. There is plenty of spare capacity available on the +12 Volt rail to handle any overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU you may want to attempt.

There is no need to upgrade the power supply unit.

so overall my cofiguration is good?and the motherboard gave away because it was a defective one ?not to do anything with my psu and ups or the gpu?
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:22:24 AM

do see the note once....
m
l

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 3:35:48 PM

pavan_85 said:
so overall my cofiguration is good?and the motherboard gave away because it was a defective one ?not to do anything with my psu and ups or the gpu?

The only thing I can tell you is if the Cooler Master Thunder 700W (RS-700-ACAB-D3) has the appropriate power specifications to power your system configuration.

I have no way of determining if any of your components are defective or not.
February 26, 2013 6:30:53 PM

Best answer selected by pavan_85.
m
l
February 26, 2013 6:36:44 PM

Finally installed everything, now everything is running like a breeze, hope there will be no more problems with the mother board or anything else, played continuously for 5 hours straight no problem what so ever, thank you everyone for your sincere efforts on solving my problem ,special thanks to ko888 for a great info you saved 100 bucks!
m
l
!