Tags:
  • New Build
  • Amazon
  • Computer
  • HD
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2012 5:55:39 PM

Well, I got my OEM windows 7 home from amazon the other day and started installing it.

I turned on the computer (I just built it recently) and everything seemed fine until I started trying to install. On one HD, it gives me "the ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt" error, and on both it tell me something about windows installation error "0x80070017".

Is this a problem with windows or my HD? I inspected the disk and it came straight from amazon.
Both of my HD's are old (I didn't have the extra money to buy any more parts). On top of that, a week ago my computer took a small tumble. this of course stressed me out but the computer worked afterwards despite that.

Any advice?

More about : windows working

October 13, 2012 6:01:32 PM

Sounds like you HDDs are already formated? If so, you need to go to the extended options when selecting the disk to install to and delete the existing partition.
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:07:47 PM

Bad sectors, probably. Do a full format of the hard drive (which you can do in the Windows 7 install disc's recovery console), so you can identify and restrict bad sectors. Type

format x:

with x being whatever drive letter it is.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 8:03:15 PM

ok....>.< how would I go about doing that stuff?

As in, where would the name of the hard drive be and where would I type it in?

Also, I can't seem to find extended options in the boot menu for windows. just install now, and repair options.

m
l
October 13, 2012 9:47:57 PM

Still not sure where to find that stuff >.< any help?
m
l