Most durable steel case out there?

ak89

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hey this is my first post here, i left european forums behind becouse people are a bit closed minded. I wanted to get a really sturdy yet modern computer case and I got the p183 v3. I am really happy with the steel framed design it is very durable and the paint job is good and will last. But the chassis has its limitations, i wanna get a harddrive rack which is placed sideways with good cooling, ive been looking at the antec p280 and almost deicded on buying it, but i read that it had none of the p183's durable steel, the steel was thinner and just not quality constructued? I dont know but can someone help me, is there a really sturdy modern case out there? thanks in advance =)
Andreas

The Fractal design case I have is reasonably thick. The R4 is the newest model and it has sound deadening foam and the sideways hard drive case. Might want to check them out.

Fractal R4 has removeable HDD/SSD cages and you can turn them whatever side you want. The case is a midi-tower case and comes in at a whopping 12 kilograms it really is sturdy. Though it has a plastic door and some plastic in the front. Metal wouldn't be a good place to fit there because the plastic actually has a function there with the fans, filters, fan controller, I could go for a long time.

My main point is that it's a very durable case due to all the metal used in the case. It's also silent, very sleek looking, it has quite a lot of space for cable management, so it has for long GPUs and it has a lot of options when it comes to cooling.

It's an ideal case and the top selling case in my country. I can only recommend it.

I hope you pick a new case soon and good luck with it.

P.s. - It's recommend by tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-pc-b12-nanoxia-deep-silence-1-silverstone-ft-02s-usb3,3378-17.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-obsidian-550d-fractal-design-define-r4-gigabyte-luxo-m10,3356-13.html

ak89

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
i dont wanna bash i know a lot of people have it and i am quite sure its a decent case, but what i want for a case is the durability of crossbeams etc, that stands out in the p183, there really isnt anything like that ive seen. Ive had chieftec dragons in the past and they are durable as tanks, same as the p183. The problem as I see it when you have removable harddrive cages is that the framework of the chassi gets compromised. And i want a fixed harddrive cage. I noticed when i built a compuer in the r4 for a friend of mine that the chassi kinda bends when you drag it (it has rubber feet) and is kinda flexible, i dont want that i want a solid as tank type case !
best regards Andreas

You could always get someone to custom build one if you don't find what you are looking for. I have no idea on the prices of these things but I mean it can't be that hard, its all essentially just squares with holes placed, and a side door. Heck you can probably do some of it by yourself even with no "shop" experience.

ak89

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
So there really is nothing out there? On the so called market? Am I alone with these thoughts, you kinda want something that has best of both worlds and that is somewhat personal. And not just riveted far eastern pot steel.

I did some modding before on my chieftec dragon cases. 140 mm front intake, just drilled and filed it but that case had to much turbulence from the back. And no real good way to store harddrives, but apart from other cases the dragon was made of first grade good steel, and it was rigid! I had be quiets sound dampening *** in it and it was silent as hell, but not enough room for stuff.

ak89

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
been looking at the tj11 and it cought my attention. its made of aluminum which i dont really like to be honest, its just not a sturdy metal. You can bend it easily.. i dont know maybe i should move my interest over to cars or refurbishing tanks or something lol

Don't know much about metal but if you worry about bending any non-budget temjin case you either have hulk like anger issues or are dropping your case out of an airplane.

I have found that the corsair 800D uses aluminium and steel...

Hey, check this out. I found newegg has a case material filter. Nice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20600006343&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=BESTMATCH&PageSize=20

Dunno if I would really suggest any of those... This one might be decent though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129100

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Antec P193 V3 should be what you're looking for.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Fractal DDR4 has a very flimsy top panel. The bottom is flimsy as well. I had to take mine back because if that and limited space behind the mobile tray. So I wouldn't suggest that case. Plus if you add more fans it becomes loud and it has descent cooling, not that great.

ak89

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Ah god damn it i bought the p183 should've looked around a bit more i guess... ***..
yea i installed a brand new amd setup for a friend with a fractal design r4 case and when i tapped the bottom fan honeycomb plate it whobbled thats how thin it was. I really like the p183 and p193 series but you just can't run all the cables behind the motherboard, at least not with a non-modular power supply like the fsp 650 gold. That kinda reduces the airflow into the powersupply from the front harddrive cage.. and of ******* course the p193 has this problem solved with an extra fan mount there, but i was too hasty ordering mine, is it possible to buy this part?

Anyone thought of any other good cases?

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

It's alright. You can always return the case and get the P193 V3 and you'll be set. The top and bottom panels for Fractal DDR4 aren't good, they are too thin IMO.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

You can get the coolermaster Haf or any if their Storm series if you don't mind some plastics. Mine is like a tank and heavy. Currently modding it to suit my need but it has awesome features. And it's thick steel.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Now that's tough. They won't take it back then because stores usually require original packaging. Sell it if you can and go grab the P193 V3 if you really need it.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

You can return it but you will have to pay a certain fee to cover for the box and missing plastic bags that contained the screws and what not. If P193 is what you really need or want and don't mind spending some money on the missing box and bags fees then go for it.

logainofhades

Titan

I have the HAF 922 and I agree. Been tempted to switch it out for a 932.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

You should check out newegg. They have a sale for cooler master cases and you can snag the Haf XM. I am half way done with adding a 5mm plexi panel on the left side and next is the front, will mount 2 140mm by recycling the steel from the left side panel. I just want to go crazy with this case and so far so good.

ak89

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
damn that case is Biiiiig, seems sturdy too.. if it wasnt for already deciding on antec p193 v3 id buy it. I realised something the p193 is not only longer its wider too, then the p183 v3, i really need to do my research before buying

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Whaaatttt! Now I should see if they ship to Canada then I am busying that and work on it too. Woohoo! Thanks for the link pal!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
That case makes for a perfect watercooling rig. Can hold 2 dual 5.25 drive bay reservoirs without a problem and means GPU and CPU can have independent rads and all!