Sign in with
Your question

AMD 12.8 Drivers broke FF?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b } Memory
August 20, 2012 6:56:47 PM

I'm just having terible memory leak on my Mozilla Firefox Browser 14.0.1 (on win7 x64), It's eating up 3+ Gb of memory and eventually crashed.. :fou: 

Everything fine before i'm updated the driver (my prior was 12.7)...

All posible fix allredy tried :
-reset ff to default setting
-updated ff to 15 beta
-updated all addon/plugin
-disable plugin

nothing works until i'm disable the hardware accel option in FF.. (still fine now) :sweat: 

My suspicius point toward Amd 12.8 catalyst or 12.7 update 3 app..

Hope my info helps anyone having the same problems..
If anyone had other solution other than disable hardware acceleration, please share it... :hello: 

Thanks in advance

More about : amd drivers broke

August 20, 2012 8:12:44 PM

I get BSODs with 12.7 and 12.8 with firefox. I switched over to Chrome and no issues so far.

Dunno if this is a Firefox problem or AMD driver problem or both.
a b } Memory
August 20, 2012 8:13:01 PM

I've been having ton's of issues with Firefox lately. Flash player constantly crashing, freezing browser, etc.

I don't even know why you would use a brand new driver with 3-4 year old video cards, I always stay 1 or 2 drivers back.
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 20, 2012 8:14:24 PM

Time to try some new drivers. Currently on 12.6 :) 
August 20, 2012 11:28:17 PM

Switch to chrome. For the win!
a b } Memory
August 20, 2012 11:32:03 PM

rdc85, I am running FF with 12.8 and so far so good. Did you do anything specific(Videos/100 tabs/ect)?

I am trying to reproduce this issue with a 5XXX card.
August 20, 2012 11:50:42 PM

I've installed 12.8 yesterday, and so far I've had none of the problems described.

Previously I was using 11.x (don't remember which one to be honest), and sometimes (rarely) I had TDR problems in Firefox (AMD driver stopped responding and recovered), possibly related to Flash.
I'm not sure yet if 12.8 will fix these...

Also while we're at it, I suggest everyone disable Flash's protected mode: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4468493 (read the "last resort" section)
It caused me nothing but trouble with firefox (random crashes and slowdowns).
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 1:42:36 AM

I'm like to keep every thing updated. Honestly I'm dunno what happened. It's my first experience serve memory leaks with Firefox,I'm didnt change anything in FF prior the problems...

Firefox is my choise browser for it capability for blocking ads (Sorry for all webmaster and advertaiser :p  )

When i'm notice the new 12.8 i'm read some review at benchmark3d, it seams very good driver so i'm updated my driver. I'm also updated the windows and do some backup routine...

When I'm try to surf the web, the FF crash. Looked at task/resource manager the FF eating my memory (working set ones). So i'm think, Oh okay time to update the plugin/add one..

After the update (and several restart) the problems still accour, read in the FF developer forum tried to use the FF 15.0 beta as solution, disable all plugin, etc nothing seems work...

I tried to mess at the option, and the disable HW accel seems help. no more leakage, but without HW accel loading certain webs is slow down..... >.<

Thaks for the links above, i will tried it and see if it helps..... :) 

edit: I didn't do anything strange just opening my usual web (4-10) tabs like TPU, Toms, e-mail, etc (I'm set it to not loading if not my command). Closing all tabs and tried just 1-2 tabs crash also accour but it takes longer time..

And I'm notice The FF not closing after I'm closing it (still residend in the process on task manager) I'm had to force ending it on task manager to free my memory and close the FF (in FF 14.01, on 15.0 not resident anymore but I still get the leak)
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 2:10:02 AM

An Update : Runing in safe mode with Hw accleleration don't triger the memory leak..

Tried to disable some of suspected addon (with HW accel on) memory leaks accour...

Looks like I'm have to life with no HW accel till further upade since The add on somewhat important to me.. :( 

I will try contacting AMD driver team and FF memory leakage teams and see if it will give them a hint of the problems
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 2:36:55 AM

In safe mode, I do not think the video drivers are loaded. HW acceleration will not work either(as far as I know). You may be able to enable it, but i think it is still off.
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 3:05:30 AM

So It back to square one...
Tried to mess with cytalist setting, no help....

My head hurts now, I'm give up. I will let the profesional fix it.... hehe :D 
August 21, 2012 3:33:32 AM

12.8 is the worst video driver I ever installed. Computer locked up trying to run games coming out of sleep mode. Reverted to 12.4
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 4:12:16 AM

michaeljhuman said:
12.8 is the worst video driver I ever installed. Computer locked up trying to run games coming out of sleep mode. Reverted to 12.4

specs and game list please?
August 21, 2012 4:54:59 AM

nukemaster said:
specs and game list please?

Every game far as I know and benchtest programs as well

i7 3770 (Stable overclock at 103 Mhz base clock)
Asus p8z77v mobo
Sapphire Radeon 6950x2 OC edition (crossfire, normally use a bit of OC, but does not affect problem, problem happens even at stock settings)
Corsair Vengeance RAM I think, 16 GB
Coolermaster Silent Gold 800
a b } Memory
August 21, 2012 11:11:59 AM

Sound like your problem more servere than mine....

Only found problems with FF, but i haven't get to test any game yet... (looks like will kept 12.7 as backup, just in case)

edit: read in other forums seems eachtime u scroll web page on FF with 12.8 driver it eating up 100mb and keep resident.. somewhat i'm glad it not just my problems/hardware....
August 21, 2012 11:38:41 AM

Haven't had any issues in games with 12.8, and the firefox issue has been around for me since 12.6 or 12.7. My FF issue is slightly different, though - it doesn't involve a memory leak but rather just a random BSOD within 5 minutes of opening firefox.

BTW OP, there is an awesome solution out there: Switch to Chrome.
a b } Memory
August 22, 2012 1:47:21 AM

Wkwkk.. somehow i know u will says that.. :D 

Already used chrome as second browser (especially for certain web like maps, and translated web), I'm sure hope it can blocks adds like FF sometimes in the future.....
(But i'm somehow had doubt since google is advertising company (make money from it) :(  )

Thanks for all info/sugestion.

Looks like it driver/FF problems, I guess it all back to AMD / Mozilla to fix it....

For anyone with same probs the only solution i find is disable the HW acceleration option in FF browser.
a b } Memory
August 22, 2012 3:00:28 AM

You can get Ad Block for Chrome as well :) 

http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

On that note. I think i will have to do a full uninstall of my ATI drivers.

I installed the latest, but it still shows 12.6.

Hard to reproduce your problem without the right drivers.
August 22, 2012 3:35:23 AM

Well mine is totally fine, not sure what is up with you guys? Are you installing the driver properly? If you are sure that you did, That's AMD's problem, that they don't support your cards properly. get back to their older drivers :D .
a b } Memory
August 22, 2012 6:52:54 AM

Still don't find any problems except FF, Haven't tried heavy games tought. Will pending the decition to roll back or not until test it in games.. :bounce: 

To anyone want to replicate my problems it's good to know the addon/plungin that i got for my FF....

It could be the plugin/addon problems but they work fine in 12.7..... >.<

My extention/addon for firefox :

- Adblock Plus 2.1.2 (for bloking Add) :D 
- Download status Bar 0.9.10 (Good UI for downloading)
- Download them All 2.0.13 (Download manager for FF, but sometimes don't work/allowed by certain web)
- Flash Block 1.5.15.1 (Further Block Flash/script/silverlite) :love: 
- Image Zoom 0.4.6 (good for my sore Eyes with 23" monitor focusing on some part of image)

plugins (doesn't know much what it for) :

- Adobe Acrobat 10.1.4.38
- Blackberry AppWorld 3.1.4.38
- Google update 1.3.21.115
- HOEM ActiveX plugin 1.2.0.0
- Java Development Toolkit 7.0.60.24 10.6.2.24
- Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U6 10.6.2.24
- RIM Handheld application loader 7.0.0.31
- Shockwave Flash 11.3.300.271
- Shockwave For Director 11.6.6.636
- VLC web Plugin 2.0.2.0

The End....

edit: On contrary with FF, I'm keeping chrome as lite as posible thought..

update : Updated Shockwave Flash to 11.4.402.265, The memory leak still happen.

It trigerred more easier at "maps.google.com", every time i move the maps it start increasing my memory usage at rapid speed....
August 28, 2012 4:21:21 AM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents -

I'm having the exact same issue, and only get crashes with Firefox 14.0.1 after leaking to about 1.8GB of memory usage (although IE 9.0.8112.16421 and Opera 12.01 will also begin to chew up a lot of memory over time, but closer to 750-900MB instead with no crashes).

For me, I only run into an issue when viewing flash content, and only noticed an issue at the AMD 12.8 Catalyst Driver release.

*Edit: As a note, this issue is easily reproducible within a few minutes if you launch & run 2-3 Flash applications at the same time (just in case anyone is wondering).

*For me, I'm running a Yahoo! Fantasy Football Mock Draft, Pandora, and am logged into Facebook - however I've also seen this come on more slowly however by launching Battlefield 3, which in turn loads the BF3 battle log webpage that is also running flash content.

Quick rundown of what I'm using:

*Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
*2x Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB cards in crossfire mode
*AMD Phenom II 1100T
*16GB DDR3 1600
*Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1 (latest available version as of this writing)
*Adobe Flash Player at versions 11.2.202.235, 11.3.300.270, and 11.4.402.265 (tested all 3 with the same results).
*AMD (ATI) 12.8 Catalyst Drivers (the common thread across all tests)

-I noticed the issue immediately after upgrading to driver version 12.8 this past Friday (8/24/2012), and the only fix I've been able to pull together to resolve this has been to roll back to my previous Catalyst driver version (12.6)
-In this case, since I'm not aware of any explicit need for me to upgrade to version 12.8 of the AMD drivers, I'm OK with staying at 12.6 (or maybe just moving up to 12.7).
-Either way, pull back to version 12.6-12.7 and you should get immediate relief, and from there, I'd suggest then contacting AMD for further support (or just wait and test out ensuing releases if you're lazy like me - hopefully they'll correct this).

Anyway, hope that info helps,

Cheers
a b } Memory
August 28, 2012 5:28:56 AM

I have noticed some improvement in some game I plays, i don't want to roll back.

I'm Guess I had to live without slowed FF (no hw acceleration.. ) :cry: 
a b } Memory
August 28, 2012 5:33:50 PM

I got 12.8 installed and will try some things.

Strange thing is i had downloaded 12.8 when it was released and it was not the same as the 12.8 that is on the site now. The MD5 did not match, so I just got it again.

Will try to hit as much flash stuff as I can and see what gives.
August 29, 2012 1:44:27 PM

Using 12.8 Mobility with Waterfox (a 64bit version of Firefox). No problems at all. Heck, even Flash is running beautifully!

AMD E-450 (Radeon HD 6320 Graphics) on 1080p screen.

Also, not sure I actually need the mobility drivers... yes, it's a mobile APU, but it's a Zotac AD04 (an HTPC, not a laptop).

What does "Mobility" add/substract versus the normal ones?
a b } Memory
August 29, 2012 3:20:55 PM

heffeque said:
Using 12.8 Mobility with Waterfox (a 64bit version of Firefox). No problems at all. Heck, even Flash is running beautifully!

AMD E-450 (Radeon HD 6320 Graphics) on 1080p screen.

Also, not sure I actually need the mobility drivers... yes, it's a mobile APU, but it's a Zotac AD04 (an HTPC, not a laptop).

What does "Mobility" add/substract versus the normal ones?

Better binning so it can run on lower voltage and use less power(It is an 18 watt part). It also runs at a lower clock speed, but more then enough for media center work(Compression will be slower then higher end units, but playback will be no problem).
August 29, 2012 3:46:15 PM

nukemaster said:
Better binning so it can run on lower voltage and use less power(It is an 18 watt part). It also runs at a lower clock speed, but more then enough for media center work(Compression will be slower then higher end units, but playback will be no problem).

So the Mobility driver is slowing my APU? Better install the normal ones next time.
a b } Memory
August 29, 2012 4:09:33 PM

No, not slower. The cpu is slower(To fit into that low power/heat envelope). The drivers should be the same(they just tell the operating system what the hardware is and how to use it).

You have a mobile part either way.
August 29, 2012 4:25:32 PM

nukemaster said:
No, not slower. The cpu is slower(To fit into that low power/heat envelope). The drivers should be the same(they just tell the operating system what the hardware is and how to use it).

You have a mobile part either way.

I know I have a mobile APU, my question was about the driver differences. Both normal and mobility work perfectly with it and I was wondering if there are any actual differences between them (other than the fact that the mobility ones support a smaller amount of hardware). I'm guessing that there are, otherwise they wouldn't be releasing two different packages. Or is it that they just wanted to make a smaller installer for mobile computing parts? That alone doesn't seem like a big enough reason to make the effort of building two separate versions of the driver, but who knows... maybe it is.

Anyone?
a b } Memory
August 29, 2012 4:30:05 PM

As far as i know, the drivers should perform the same. For a long time both ATI and Nvidia did not support mobile hardware and wanted you to get drivers from the device maker.

Many users used mods to run the desktop drivers because they are newer.

Sometimes, you could run into problems with drivers that had not been tested on mobile video cards.

Another thing lost of many older mobile cards with desktop drivers was the power management options(Profiles for running on battery[keep the card clocked down] or AC[crank it up when needed]). I am not sure if this still happens or not.
August 29, 2012 4:58:50 PM

nukemaster said:
Another thing lost of many older mobile cards with desktop drivers was the power management options(Profiles for running on battery[keep the card clocked down] or AC[crank it up when needed]). I am not sure if this still happens or not.

This was the reason I went for the Mobility one. I wasn't sure if power management settings were different so I went for Mobility just in case.

Anyway... back to topic, FF 15 is out. I don't use FF anymore, I use Waterfox (it's A LOT faster than FF) but they haven't done the version 15 yet, not that there's any hurry.

If you're having problems with FF, I personally recommend Waterfox. At first I was skeptic about it, but I'm happy I tried it (and kept using it).

It doesn't overwrite FF and it uses it's profile data, so anything you do on either one will be useful for both :) 

Oh, and unlike with FF, there's no weird sh¡t going on with 12.3, 12.4, 12.7 beta or 12.8 (drivers I've been using with Waterfox because of crummy FF stability and performance).
a b } Memory
August 29, 2012 8:22:41 PM

Are add-ons supported? and will it sync with FF as well?

I have had no issues(performance or otherwise) with FF, but am all for trying a new browser.
August 29, 2012 10:14:19 PM

nukemaster said:
Are add-ons supported? and will it sync with FF as well?

I have had no issues(performance or otherwise) with FF, but am all for trying a new browser.

I've only got 4 add-ons, didn't have to re-download them, it just gets them from FF.

It's just basically FF but it's color blue and it's faster and more stable... and you can still leave FF installed just in case.
a b } Memory
August 30, 2012 2:40:25 AM

So i still can use my extension and add on that in my FF (already on 15.0 beta) on waterfox ??

Well I'm guess i will try this when i get home.....

If it's stable and the add on works then I'll switch to WF, i will update how it was for me later...
August 30, 2012 4:27:16 AM

rdc85 said:
So i still can use my extension and add on that in my FF (already on 15.0 beta) on waterfox ??

Well I'm guess i will try this when i get home.....

If it's stable and the add on works then I'll switch to WF, i will update how it was for me later...

Just wanted to comment that FF 15 is out of beta.
a b } Memory
August 31, 2012 12:50:25 PM

Great news.. I'm just updated to FF 16.0 (beta realease) :love:  today. thing seems fine now...

I'm notice huge jump in memory usage of FF from 100+Mb to up to 500Mb... :ouch:  but at least it not 3+ Gb and crashing the browser...

YaY..... :bounce:  I get my speed back..

ps: haven't get to try water fox, but looks promising......

edit: I'm also updated the java, flash, addon, etc............. for the info. Now I need to backup this stable system.... :) 

For any one that may having same problems, try updating to FF 16.0 beta that released at 30 August....
a b } Memory
August 31, 2012 1:52:56 PM

Update: I'm happy to soon... :cry: 

it still happen, the only reason it not crash beacuse I'm disable crossfireX the at that time. This problems more about crossfire... disabling crossfire the problems gone... :pfff: 

I will try setup custom application profiles just for FF and see how it goes... :heink: 

Update : using the custom build app (aplication profiles) for firefox, it fix the problems.. (but it'll need to disable CFX, and disable moorphological antialiasing to make the font readable)
August 31, 2012 2:51:56 PM

Using unstable betas and still haven't tried Waterfox? :heink: 
a b } Memory
August 31, 2012 2:56:46 PM

heffeque said:
Using unstable betas and still haven't tried Waterfox? :heink: 

Haha i'll, but still can't find a right time. Already DL -ed but not installed yet, next sunday will good time to test it since there will be lot of free time for me to test it... :sol: 

Edit: I'm already were beta tester for some apps/game/hardware so i don't think anything bad about beta product (it can introduce some bugs but there also some bugfix in beta ver.) ...
a b } Memory
August 31, 2012 3:39:51 PM

I installed Waterfox :) 

Runs just like firefox :) 

I had to disable then re-enable some add-ons, but other then that, it works good.

I did not have any real issues with Firefox.

I have noticed that if you jump from Waterfox to Firefox, sometimes it messes up the plugins and that if you have one open, the other will just not open it will give you another FF or WF depending on what was open first. Is that normal?

I have just replaced my FF with WF(shortcuts not install) for now to avoid any of this.

Going to install it on a slower system(still 64-bit) to see how it works.
August 31, 2012 4:17:44 PM

Yes, it shares some stuff, that's why I don't try to run them at the same time.

The CPU on my system (AMD E-450) is pretty weak (although I do have more than enough RAM: 8GB) and I can really tell the difference between FF and WF. I'm sure that on fast systems the difference isn't really that great though.
a b } Memory
September 5, 2012 2:56:16 PM

My last post.. I had enough I'm rolled back to 12.7 beta... (Stable as rock)

Waterfox also crash with same problems with Firefox... (so no hope hiks :cry:  )

I'm also realize i'm spending more times in FF than in my games... wkwkw :D 
a b } Memory
September 27, 2012 5:22:37 AM

Update : will try 12.9 beta tonight...

It said it fix Firefox with CFX mode in release notes, hoping it right... :D 

Update again...

Yup, it fix the memory leak issue with CFX and FF...

so The case closed :D 
a b } Memory
September 27, 2012 2:40:32 PM

Well that too long enough.

Glad you got it solved.
!