Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting Boot issues in newish builld

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2012 9:26:54 PM

I built a computer in may of this year and its been running fine until now. That is with the exception of a few bsods that had something to do with bf3.

here are some particulars

asus p8z68 v
g skill ripjaw 8gb 1600
i7 2600k
gtx 570

long story short, i shut my computer down, go on vacation for a week , and come back to a pretty expensive brick.

the computer powers up and the bios is accessible, there appears to be nothing wrong here, flashed the newest bios, my hard drive appears etc etc windows logo appears and then it gets weird. from here it either freezes, goes to a black screen, or eventually goes into the welcome screen where you would login, only no controls appear here and just the background. After a few minutes the password box appears and you can enter it. after ten minutes my desktop background appears, but nothing else, aside from the message about build 7601 this windows is not genuine. although it should be.

safe mode boots into a black screen with the cursor but nothing else

startup repair detects no problems.

no system restores or images

memory diagnostic doesnt work since you cant log into windows after to see results

command prompt is available from here however and is likely going to be how i will fix this i believe

i dont think my hard drive is broken, it makes no odd noises, appears in the bios, and all the files seem to be intact when i searched it for drivers in startup repair.

perhaps this is a motherboard issue?

October 13, 2012 9:35:06 PM

I'd start with the BIOS reflash, then move your drives to different SATA ports. See where that takes you.
m
l
October 13, 2012 9:36:20 PM

And do you have onboard video? If so, remove the 570 and plug into onboard.
m
l
October 14, 2012 9:06:01 PM

Tried both of those ideas today and still no dice as of yet. trying google and other forums to find similar problems now.
m
l
!