Sign in with
Your question

*HELP* How to make my build cheaper!!!!!

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2012 9:42:28 PM

Im building a gaming pc soon and i want an MSI GTX 660 ti in the build. I NEED to get my build under $1000 ($950ish). This is my build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kebz
PLEASE help me get this price down! <33 :D  :D  :D  :D  :love: 

More about : make build cheaper

October 13, 2012 9:57:04 PM

Mostly because it uses the same GK 104 chip that the 670 and 680 use. And you cant get the Msi Power Edition in the 660 (non ti).
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:02:28 PM

The factory OC is the same price compared to the non OC so i just went with it ( i could care less about factory OC). Also, i would much rather stick to Nvidia right now, just A LOT more familiar with Nvidia products, but if i find an AMD card that seems alot better for the price i might consider
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 10:08:25 PM

Hmmmm. Let me research that card a bit.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 13, 2012 10:11:48 PM

You seriously need to dump that aweful Raidmax PSU. Go with XFX, Corsair, or PC Power&Cooling.
In terms of cost, you can only "trim at the edges", without losing something significant, like overclocking. You could save a little on RAM, or HDD, but not major.
There is a question mark, over the MSI PE, at the moment, regarding the way they achieve their overclock. There was an article, on Tom's, a few days ago. Their are plenty of alternatives, unless you want to "take a chance", or HD7950 could be regarded as better value, for a lot of games (BF3, Borderlands 2, Portal 2, Shogun do favour nVidia, however).
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 13, 2012 10:16:23 PM

brianlaserbeam said:
The factory OC is the same price compared to the non OC so i just went with it ( i could care less about factory OC). Also, i would much rather stick to Nvidia right now, just A LOT more familiar with Nvidia products, but if i find an AMD card that seems alot better for the price i might consider

Gigabyte, Asus, or Evga have decent versions of GTX660Ti, if you are not looking for a specific factory OC (vitually all have some). It's only MSI's method of overclocking that is an issue.
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:28:27 PM

malbluff said:
You seriously need to dump that aweful Raidmax PSU. Go with XFX, Corsair, or PC Power&Cooling.
In terms of cost, you can only "trim at the edges", without losing something significant, like overclocking. You could save a little on RAM, or HDD, but not major.
There is a question mark, over the MSI PE, at the moment, regarding the way they achieve their overclock. There was an article, on Tom's, a few days ago. Their are plenty of alternatives, unless you want to "take a chance", or HD7950 could be regarded as better value, for a lot of games (BF3, Borderlands 2, Portal 2, Shogun do favour nVidia, however).

That's probably the biggest reason I want nvidia, I love BL2, portal 2 , Crysis, and I Really like Physx
m
l
October 13, 2012 10:32:55 PM

Quote:
There was a nice 3 fan gigabyte 660ti with stock core speeds that was a little bit cheaper than the msi you have picked as well i believe.

I really thought that the 660 ti was pretty much $300 everywhere, how much cheaper is the Gigabyte one?
m
l
October 13, 2012 11:20:30 PM

I have 2 monitors (24 inch for both) I may upgrade to a 3rd in the future. The 660 ti from everything I've read is perfect for single monitor gaming (second/third will be accessory). So the 660 ti is probably my best bet. I'll look at the EVGA cheaper ones when I get home.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 14, 2012 8:15:34 AM

Depends what you are using extra monitors for. If just for multitasking, the extra monitors don't add a lot graphically, and I would still tend to go GTX660Ti, or 670, for BF3. If you are talking about split screen gaming (surround vision/eyefinity), then HD7950 is better. 2xHD7950 in crossfire is far superior to 2xGTX660Ti (not that they're rubbish) in SLi, for multi-screen GAMING. Whilst I've not seen actual benchmarks, to prove it, I suspect that's true, even for games like BF3
m
l
October 14, 2012 1:50:12 PM

malbluff said:
Depends what you are using extra monitors for. If just for multitasking, the extra monitors don't add a lot graphically, and I would still tend to go GTX660Ti, or 670, for BF3. If you are talking about split screen gaming (surround vision/eyefinity), then HD7950 is better. 2xHD7950 in crossfire is far superior to 2xGTX660Ti (not that they're rubbish) in SLi, for multi-screen GAMING. Whilst I've not seen actual benchmarks, to prove it, I suspect that's true, even for games like BF3

Yeah im only gonna use the extra monitors for multi tasking, i mean every once in a while ill try out multi monitor gaming but thats it.
m
l
October 14, 2012 2:04:00 PM

OH the 7950 just went back up to 309.00 any ways.
m
l
October 21, 2012 12:07:56 AM

Best answer selected by brianlaserbeam.
m
l
!