Best way to improve on build?

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hello, I built my first homebuilt system back in July, and I am wondering what would be the best way to give my system a little more performance . The specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core I-5 3570K
MOBO: MSI Z77A G-43
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 64MB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) 1866mhz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 7870
BD-ROM: LG Black 14X BD-R...
Case: Cooler Master Half 912

(All the components are running on stock settings and stock cooling is present throughout the entire system.)

Should I invest in an ssd now? If so which one would be reliable and economical?

Would the stock cooling be sufficient for ample overclocking, or would I need to invest in aftermarket cooling?
I do live in a high dust environment with the computer situated several inches above medium carpet though cleaning out the computer monthly seems to be doing fairly well.

I use the computer primarily for Skyrim(heavily modded), Bf3, and minecraft(sometimes as server while playing Bf3 or Skyrim).

Please tell me if this post is off-topic for this category?

G

Get a Samsung 830 or 840. I personally have Three of the 830s in operation and love them! I have two 256GB models and one 128GB version. TWo of them run under OSX and one under Windows 7.

I haven't had a problem with any of them! Very good drives.

jemm

Distinguished
I have a Samsung 830 128GB -- it made my system fly! :) The key point in performance is a balanced system.

Samsung 840 Pro SSD: More Speed, Less Power, And Toggle-Mode 2.0 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-mode-2,3302.html

If you´re thinking about overclock, then you´ll need an after market CPU cooler -- mind that your case isn´t that big, so you must get a cooler that fits your case.

Enermax ETD-T60 VEGAS DUO CPU Cooler (Down Flow) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214027

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

YattaRX8

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I'm definitely agree with everyone saying SSD. I don't think I'll ever build a personal PC without an SSD now that I've experienced owning one. Troubleshooting an issue that requires multiple reboots is infinitely less frustrating, let alone all of the other benefits.