Corsair CX vs VS series

zhost

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
Hi all

Im looking for a new PSU for low-medium pc. I want to choose a Corsair PSU but i dont know if buy a CX600 or CX450, or VS550. The CX series have a good review on Hardwaresecrets but the VS is good enough ?

My pc:

MB: Asrock H61M-VS
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6750
HDD: 1 SATA
CPU: Intel i3 2100
RAM: 1 DDR3 2gb / 1 DDR3 4gb

Maybe i buy an HD 7850 in a few months is enough for those PSU ?

Thnxs all

Solution

Hi - the VS550 is fine, considerably more power than you need for a
system with one 6750. It has 42a on the +12v rail(that is good),
your CPU & GPU draw from the +12v.

The VS series isn't marketed here in the US,
as it has input voltage of 220-240v which we don't use.

The VS has the same OEM (CWT) as the cx600 & cx430, so I
expect...

Hi - the VS550 is fine, considerably more power than you need for a
system with one 6750. It has 42a on the +12v rail(that is good),
your CPU & GPU draw from the +12v.

The VS series isn't marketed here in the US,
as it has input voltage of 220-240v which we don't use.

The VS has the same OEM (CWT) as the cx600 & cx430, so I
expect it will be of equal quality and you should be fine with it.

Tom

also more than enough for a 7850.

Solution

fktt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Say a power supply is claimed to be a 100(a clear round number for simplicity)W PSU and it actually supplies say 78W without stability issues, that PSU definitely won't get an 80plus rating...
...now a PSU that is claimed to be 100W and actually manages to supply 82W under constant load without stability issues, that would be able to get that rating.

So the idea is that as long as a PSU is capable of supplying 80+% of it's claimed maximum Wattage under constant load without any issues then it's applicable for the 80PLUS rating. As for the bronze, silver, gold, platinum etc. reference, that's just marketing jargon basically, though they do mean something, namely the more valuable the metal mentioned the higher a load percentage over 80 the particular PSU supposedly can manage.

So the way I understand it to be... lets assume that the VS550 is eh, best case scenario... capable of at most 80% load but not more, hence not 80PLUS, its combined 12V rail is claimed to be 504W so 80% would be ~403W I.E. you should only use it for a system that at most draws lets say 400W in total from the 12V rail.

edit: as for thread resurrection, not sure what the forum policy is in this regard however toms hardware threads do tend to come up alot in google search far as I can tell so it does seem worthwhile to answer such questions no matter how old.