Sign in with
Your question

Looking to update my graphic card, all opinions welcome

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2012 10:42:26 PM

Current card : Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS (512mb, DDR2,

I'm looking to buy a budget card that allows me to play my games at the best performance and image quality. The highest graphic-usage games i have would be -Death Island, Darksiders 2, Sanctum, and Skyrim-

Purchase Date : This week, (Augest 20th ~ 27th, 2012), sooner the better really, but a good deal can make me wait!

Budget : < $100 on a card BEFORE REBATE. I usually buy games once they are already old, so an expensive card wouldn't be worth buying. I have nothing against rebates, but as long as the before price fits in my budget.

Current GPU : AMD FX Black Edition @ 4170Ghz, 12.0MB Cashe

Current Powersupply : Diablotec 600watt ATX

Other System Specs : 4GB x2 Corsair Vengance (RAM), GIGABYTE 970A-DS3 (MOTHERBOARD), 1TB Seagate (HARDDRIVE)

Preferred Website : Tigerdirect.ca , I'm Canadian

Parts / Preference : With my budget, a single card would be nice. I would prefer Nvidia over ATI, but I'll let you tell me what I should get. I would prefer better overall performance / graphical quality rather than PhysX.

Overclocking : I don't know how to overclock, and feel that it is unnecessary when I'm buying a new card anyways.

Crossfire / SLI : My motherboard supports Crossfire-X, however I feel that a single card is better. An SLI/Crossfire compatable card would be a plus in the future though.

Resolution : Right now, 1440 x 900

Additional Comments : A card that will last me at least 2 years of smooth game play. Maybe of my games are old, so If the card could play Skyrim or Death Island on full settings, great. If they can only play at normal or high, i have other games to play that would like the graphical boost too.

Currently Considering :
XFX GT-430X-CAF2 GeForce GT 430 Video Card - 2GB, DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, Dual-link DVI, HDMI, VGA, DirectX 11

(http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...)

I am clueless on Mhz Specs on graphic cards, so im not sure what to look for in speeds.
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 10:50:53 PM

The one you are thinking of is decent, most in this budget will be performance cards. The Xfx 430 got good reviews on that site.

Also look at this:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Its a 6670 it should do fine for your gaming needs. Honestly if you don't game much it should last about 2 years. Both of these should play normal/med-high settings.
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 10:56:46 PM

Even better deal ^
August 20, 2012 10:57:36 PM

I've taken a look at both cards, and have been wondering whats more important in a graphic card. The amount of memory, or the clock speeds? If the prices are the same, wouldn't a 2GB graphic card be better or last longer?
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 10:58:01 PM

Nope, you will never use the extra 1 G with a card like that. The processor is out of breath before the extra 1G is used.
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 10:58:46 PM

That depends, are you going to have a monitor connected via vgi and one via dvi? If that is the case more memory helps. 2Gb is standard right about now. It helps if you want to crank up settings a bit. But if you are going to play older games it should not matter.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:01:54 PM

Though if you can find the same gpu with one having 1G and one having 2G for exactly the same price, well take the 2G then.
August 20, 2012 11:06:33 PM

Well, I only use one monitor, and its a VGA plug in (blue). I was thinking of getting Nvidia for the extra technology for the same price, but maybe an ATI is better to go along with my motherboard and core. Although I like playing older games often, a card that can play newer games in my budget is great as well. Ultimately, im going to pick one of these cards though because I think you guys know what your talking about.

The DIRT 3 coupon looks interesting btw, can always use games for my steam account, but is the card better?
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:15:38 PM

It will work in PCIE.. I agree the 7770 is the best option. You will be great with that card, plus its more recent. Its 106 after the rebate.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:19:45 PM

^^ Yes, yes, even better !!!
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:21:20 PM

You earned the last cookie.
August 20, 2012 11:21:44 PM

dish_moose said:
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/245164/Gigabyte/GV_R7...
Has a $20 rebate and free shipping. Always stretch your gpu budget - you will stay happy longer.
-Bruce

I don't see too much difference in this card with the 7750, but im not one to know my cards that well anyways. I'll wait a bit for more suggestions and if there arn't any, i might go to bed with this one.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:42:01 PM

Thats not in Canada.

Newegg.Ca does it for 115 plus 12 shipping.

But if the op wants to stretch the limit even further, why not.
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 20, 2012 11:55:08 PM

:lol: 

I'm a nvidia fan boy, but i really think for your needs the 7770 is a very nice deal which is almost in the limits of the budget. ( only 7 bucks extra, not like 27 bucks on top of that.)
August 20, 2012 11:59:00 PM

Yeah if the price is much better go with the 7750/7770. Didn't realize we were looking at .ca but that was an "open box" item hence the low price. 7770 is preferable if you can find it under 100.
August 21, 2012 12:05:04 AM

subcutaneous said:
Yeah if the price is much better go with the 7750/7770. Didn't realize we were looking at .ca but that was an "open box" item hence the low price. 7770 is preferable if you can find it under 100.

I dont think the extra 7 dollars is going to harm me, if it performs good and recommended by you guys, it seems like i've found myself comfertable with the 7770.

Now im just going to need to bite myself about missing out on DIRT3 lol
August 21, 2012 12:10:46 AM

Also if you were interested in breaking the 100$ barrier I just checked out the .ca site.

Although the 550 ti is a pretty bad deal on there, the GTX 560 SE for 120$ is a pretty good performer.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.hwcompare.com/11885/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeo...
^I believe this comparison is showing a 560(non SE) so the performance is a bit less with the SE model.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you spend anything 7750 or better will I am sure satisfy your needs. But always worth considering an extra performance boost so it will age better.
August 21, 2012 12:18:15 AM

subcutaneous said:
Also if you were interested in breaking the 100$ barrier I just checked out the .ca site.

Although the 550 ti is a pretty bad deal on there, the GTX 560 SE for 120$ is a pretty good performer.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.hwcompare.com/11885/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeo...
^I believe this comparison is showing a 560(non SE) so the performance is a bit less with the SE model.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you spend anything 7750 or better will I am sure satisfy your needs. But always worth considering an extra performance boost so it will age better.

Euhm, Unfortunately, I do not have an HD monitor, and only have support for VGA, sorry
August 21, 2012 12:19:37 AM

Because i have a VGA monitor that also means that I can't use the 7750 or 7770 cards... dammit..
August 21, 2012 12:24:21 AM

nicholaskur said:
Euhm, Unfortunately, I do not have an HD monitor, and only have support for VGA, sorry

Luckily pretty much every high end card comes with an adapter in the box. :p 
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 12:28:12 AM

Lol, if we keep you going for another hour you'll end up buying a GTX 660Ti. :lol: 
August 21, 2012 12:33:54 AM

Good warranty too, I see even in Canada the warranty is 3 years.

It seems funny it doesn't list what accessories are included. You can see what's all included by clicking on the pictures. There are power adapters, the vga adapter, and sometimes there will be even more stuff especially with more expensive cards.

Also the percentage performance increase starts to drop off really really fast compared to the %price increase right here around ~$120.
August 21, 2012 12:36:54 AM

subcutaneous said:
Good warranty too, I see even in Canada the warranty is 3 years.

It seems funny it doesn't list what accessories are included. You can see what's all included by clicking on the pictures. There are power adapters, the vga adapter, and sometimes there will be even more stuff especially with more expensive cards.

Also the percentage performance increase starts to drop off really really fast compared to the %price increase right here around ~$120.

Yea no kidding, the card says it comes with Adobe PS elements too, even though i like using GIMP, it might be nice to have.
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 12:43:59 AM

You know the 660ti will max all your games and oldest ones too :) 

J/K lol good choice you will be happy.
!