Sign in with
Your question

Computer Slowed Way Down Randomly, No Virus

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2013 1:41:32 AM

A few days ago my computer randomly started running very slow. The only recent change is the addition of the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer liquid cooler. I was also messing with some overclocking in the BIOS. I have reverted all settings to default, the way I know for sure it ran correctly before, and the problem persists. I have run virus scans, boot scans, disk defrag, disk cleanup, checked my HDD's with Crystaldisk. For some reason I have slowed down greatly. While running games load times are through the roof and simple web browsing is laggy. I was thinking power supply? But my uncle and I are scratching our heads over my custom build. Please help!

ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
GeiL Black Dragon DDR2 2x2GB, Ballistix Tracer DDR2 2x1GB
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256bit Video Card
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB Primary HDD
WD Blue 2500AAKS 250GB, Seconday HDD
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer Liquid Cooling
Thermaltake Purepower 500 Watt Power Supply (ISO-P500L)
February 26, 2013 1:47:08 AM

just have to ask what are your temps
February 26, 2013 1:51:36 AM

29c idle, maybe 40c when gaming.
Related resources
February 26, 2013 1:53:13 AM

Well the first thing you should do is rule out whether it is the Water Cooling that is slowing it down (though I highly doubt it) by taking it off and replacing your old cooling solution. If problem persists you may want to consider uninstalling programs you don't use followed by a registry cleaner. If it is still slow it may be that the hardware is getting old or needs a physical cleaning. Some other advice, don't use mixed RAM, it's not good for the system.
February 26, 2013 1:55:28 AM

I would double check all of your connections and make sure all of your components are seated appropriately, even reseat everything.
February 26, 2013 1:56:44 AM

System is physically clean due to the recent addition of water cooling, it ran about 2 weeks with the water cooling then started this nonsense. I don't have the old stock CPU cooler to rule that out :/ 
February 26, 2013 1:59:48 AM

Connections are definitely secure. Triple checked.
February 26, 2013 2:11:08 AM

you can test your power supply with a multimeter
Is there anything running in the background, check when at idle.
you never know but driver updates are always a good idea.
look for a bios update, maybe something happened there.
make sure bios is stock
test your harddrive.
February 26, 2013 2:20:21 AM

Windows task manager has nothing running out of the normal. I can run some updates tomorrow, I don't see that being the problem everything was all fine and then one day I turn it on and it's running like junk. Keep up the ideas!
February 26, 2013 2:22:52 AM

other basic trouble shooting is to start removing parts and see what happens. go down to just one stick of ram and your cpu see if it runs any different. you will at least have the comfort of knowing most things are working then
!