Cpu fan wont work with new CPU but will work with the old CPU

My motherboard is an ECS 945gct-m3 and I had Pentium D processor in it and I upgraded to the Core 2 Duo. Now when I turn on the computer my cpu fan does not work and no POST or anything comes up on monitor. The fan and everything works fine with the old CPU installed, but I can't figure out why the computer wont boot or the cpu fan work with the new CPU. All the research I have done says that the Core 2 Duo will work with this motherboard but it is sure acting like it wont. I upgraded the BIOS to the latest from the ECS website before any of this. Not sure what else you need to know but any help would be great.
4 answers Last reply
More about wont work work
  1. In a case like this it has nothing to do with the HSF (heatsink/fan) and almost always has to do with support for the CPU on the board. Which processor are you trying to use on that board? A good number to the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo's will use our 45nm manufacturing processor and they will not work at all on that board. According to ECS there is a very small list of Intel Core 2 Duo processor that are supported on that board. http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=719&MenuID=1&LanID=0
  2. LGA775 Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (B2) (65W) N/A 2.66 GHz 4MB N/A 07/05/22 Thats the one that I chose and bought. Sorry should have included that but that exact website is the one I used to choose it. That's why I am not sure what it could be even though it is definitely acting like its not compatible.
  3. After doing some research could it possiblly be my power supply not able to handle everything? I have put 4 gigs of ram in recently. I have an evga geforce 430 gt all running on the stock power supply.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards