600$ gaming rig?

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: December

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) 600$ can go over a little

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Gaming, Folding@home, Websurfing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel would be nice.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 plan to go 1920x1080 soon

Additional Comments: I want a quad core cpu that is relatively quick. I would also like to play Battlefield 3 at relatively high settings. Must be able to run Arma 2 with good graphics.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current computer is around 6 years old with a few upgrades here and there. A
16 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. So do you want a 1080p monitor now? or a 1440x900 one? When you take out the monitor, you are only left with like, $400 to spend, which is sort of trouble to get a Quad core intel CPU with that little money.
  2. I'm sorry I meant to say I already have the 1440x900 monitor. I am buying a 1080p monitor about a month after I build this. And if this can't be done with intel, amd would be fine.
  3. You will need to know if you are planning on SLI, not a maybe. Money saved on a PSU or SLI board can be used towards a better, faster GPU and CPU.
  4. It should be fixed now. Im not gonna go with SLI.
  5. I decided that I'd like to go with amd for this build and the budget can go up to 700$.
  6. Don't go AMD man. I'm sure someone here can make it work with intel.
  7. Can I have some pros and cons with intel vs amd?
  8. intel cpu's are faster and AMD cpu's are cheaper, or a better value, generally. If you are gaming, you can get cheaper, but slightly less performance from an AMD cpu/mobo combo and put the money saved towards a faster GPU. There's a little bit of overlap between some of the bottom end and middle, but at the top end its intel. That makes me sad.
  9. i5 3570k on tiger direct now for 182

msi z77a g41 on newegg for 60

7850 on newegg for 142

384 for a nice budget build platform
  10. egilbe said:
    intel cpu's are faster and AMD cpu's are cheaper, or a better value, generally. If you are gaming, you can get cheaper, but slightly less performance from an AMD cpu/mobo combo and put the money saved towards a faster GPU. There's a little bit of overlap between some of the bottom end and middle, but at the top end its intel. That makes me sad.

This is probably a better explanation than what I said about never going AMD. I have never made an AMD build and I have not owned an AMD chip, but most if not all of the people I know who are very computer savvy say go intel if you can afford it.

The i5 3570k on sale at tiger direct that eshepard linked you to is a great deal. I would jump on that ASAP. I have that chip in my uber gaming rig and it is considered the sweet spot for gaming with high OC potential. I run it stock and it is great.
  11. Wlll there be sales on these parts around Christmas?
  12. nstiver said:
    The i5 3570k on sale at tiger direct that eshepard linked you to is a great deal. I would jump on that ASAP. I have that chip in my uber gaming rig and it is considered the sweet spot for gaming with high OC potential. I run it stock and it is great.

Yup i bought mine 3 weeks ago for $230, this is an awesome deal, but it expired.

These deals come and go quickly, you have to know to jump fast when you see the right one.
  13. I know that I want a 7850 and probably an i5. But can someone recomend a cheap case and a power supply?
  14. i bought an antec one, i love it

if u want a 7850 this deal for $142 expires tonight
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product