Windows XP not recognizing hard drive

G

Hi guys. I recently upgraded to XP. It recognizes all of my hard drives except my old Maxtor 13g. The drive simply doesnt show up. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Is it just not assigning a drive letter? Does disk management see the drive? What about the device manager?

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

Device manager does not see it. Basically, under WinXP, this drive is completely non-existent. When I dual boot back into my WinME it works fine.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If that's the case you are going to need to make sure that the BIOS properly see's the drive and that all the settings are correct. If it's on any type of ATA or RAID controller I would make sure that the drivers are installed and updated for Windows XP.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

As far as I can tell the drive is installed ok in the bios; i dont get any problems whatsoever under WinME; also didnt get any problems with Win2000; only after upgrading to XP do i get this problem. Any suggestions?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Not device manager, disk management. Remember you have the NT/2000 kernel, so you have to assign the drive letter itself, if the drive isn't present when Windows is installed.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

Hi again...
Interestingly, when I boot in safe mode, WinXP recognizes the drive and finds no problems with it; however, when I boot normally into WinXP I dont see the drive, not even in drive manager.
Thanks!