Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Build
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 26, 2013 3:50:55 AM

Hey guys,

I was wondering which brand/series for the PSU should I buy for my build? I'm upgrading from an AMD to an Intel build along with ram, gpu and psu and should be complete by this saturday. The PSUs I have in mind are the Corsair HX 750, XFX Pro 750, or any Seasonic 750 PSU. Also I want only a semi-modular PSU. My budget isn't an issue. What I do care about is the reliability. I do have Corsair TX 650 (Non-modular), but that is being used with my old AMD build which I've transferred into another case. I will be overclocking as well as adding another gpu for crossfire later on so is 750W overkill making 650W more than enough for crossfire and maybe more additions later on?

My PC specs:

AsRock z77 Extreme4
i5-3570K
G.Skill Sniper Ram DDR3-1600 (2x4gb)
CM Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
Samsung Spinpoint F2
CM Haf 922 case
SSD -----> Will buy at a later date.

Thanks! :) 

More about : brand series psu

a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 10:04:17 AM

Personally I wouldn't use Xfire/SLI for a gaming build for a few reasons:
* Mobo costs more to support Xfire/SLI, in most cases.
* PSU requirements are greater, due to more power needed to support SLI/Xfire, so the PSU cost is more.
* GPU costs are obviously more for 2 of the similar type and also generate more heat, due to the proximity of the cards to one another.
* Complexity of SLI/Xfire isn't always beneficial in all games (drivers and such).

With that in mind (assuming you haven't purchased anything yet), I would consider:
* Keep all of your parts listed (could upgrade the CPU/HSF if you like).
* Purchase a quality 500-650w PSU for around $60-80 and save about $40-70.
* Get at least a 120-128 gb SSD for OS and some games/apps with the savings from the PSU cost.
* Then in a year or so, upgrade your GPU to the latest tech that you can afford (assuming your feeling the need to upgrade).
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2013 12:10:19 PM

XFX solid, reliable PSU's.
Score
February 26, 2013 8:56:24 PM

lunyone said:
Personally I wouldn't use Xfire/SLI for a gaming build for a few reasons:
* Mobo costs more to support Xfire/SLI, in most cases.
* PSU requirements are greater, due to more power needed to support SLI/Xfire, so the PSU cost is more.
* GPU costs are obviously more for 2 of the similar type and also generate more heat, due to the proximity of the cards to one another.
* Complexity of SLI/Xfire isn't always beneficial in all games (drivers and such).

With that in mind (assuming you haven't purchased anything yet), I would consider:
* Keep all of your parts listed (could upgrade the CPU/HSF if you like).
* Purchase a quality 500-650w PSU for around $60-80 and save about $40-70.
* Get at least a 120-128 gb SSD for OS and some games/apps with the savings from the PSU cost.
* Then in a year or so, upgrade your GPU to the latest tech that you can afford (assuming your feeling the need to upgrade).

Already purchased everything except for the power supply plus the ssd (which I will in the very near future). Do you have any brands plus wattage in mind for this build?
Score
February 26, 2013 9:04:32 PM

das_stig said:
XFX solid, reliable PSU's.

Does it matter between the triple x edition or pro edition for xfx?
Score

Best solution

February 26, 2013 9:17:33 PM

I would definitely go with either the XFX or Seasonic. XFX units are all actually produced exclusively by Seasonic. The Corsair is a CWT-produced unit. Seasonic units under their name or a third-party label like XFX are about as reliable and reputable of PSU as you could hope to find. Their gold and platinum rated units are suburb, but I personally have always been blown away with what I've gotten out of just their bronze-rated models.
February 26, 2013 11:08:08 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't notice that the psu above wasn't modular when I'm looking for a semi-modular one.
Score
February 27, 2013 12:45:17 PM

Best answer selected by jsagaga02.
Score
!