Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Video Card, Beep but no display?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2012 1:46:15 AM

Just bought the following product:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/77...

My power supply is an Antec Basiq 500 Watt Power Supply BP500U

My current computer:
Quote:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.120504-1617)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 2225MB used, 1717MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

My Motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/4CoreDual-SATA2/

Problem:

I've installed it, plugged in the 6-Pin Power cable in it. When I start my computer, I hear the usual Beep and all the fans start to run. However, I have no display and everything that is supposed to receive power from the USB ports (Keyboard, Mouse) doesn't power on.

I have all the system requirement, so I don't know what is the issue. If I unplug the video card from the PCI-E slot, but keep the power cable plugged in, I hear the beep, the fan works and the USB stuff power on.

Is my motherboard defective?
August 21, 2012 2:01:16 AM

your motherboard cannot support the graphics card
your PCI Express slot only works @ 4x you need at least PCI E 16X slot which it does not have..
change the Mobo
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:02:14 AM

blazzin said:
your motherboard cannot support the graphics card
your PCI Express slot only works @ 4x you need at least PCI E 16X slot which it does not have..
change the Mobo

I was using a PCI-E 16X video card before this one without problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:07:26 AM

Can you check bios and see what gpu is selected as primary? Sometimes when I unplugged my card and plugged the monitor in to the mob dvi plug, and booted the machine I got the same thing..beep then no visual on bios. But windows would boot up fine.

Check your monitor signal make sure its on DVI.

Edit: Yeh your mobo shows 4x PCIE slot. The card needs x16. Are you sure the previous card was x16 card?
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:09:06 AM

selayan said:
Can you check bios and see what gpu is selected as primary? Sometimes when I unplugged my card and plugged the monitor in to the mob dvi plug, and booted the machine I got the same thing..beep then no visual on bios. But windows would boot up fine.

Check your monitor signal make sure its on DVI.

Yup it's on the good signal.

Since my USB peripheral doesn't boot, I feel like my power supply could struggle with it? It's kinda new but it may have a defect.
Anyway I can find out if I have a problem with my power supply, without spending 120$ for a new one?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:11:38 AM

Can you plug the card in another pc? Or take out the psu and try it on another machine too? Minimum for the card is 500w so it should be fine.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:16:27 AM

selayan said:
Can you plug the card in another pc? Or take out the psu and try it on another machine too? Minimum for the card is 500w so it should be fine.

Tried the card of someone else on my computer. A card that is also power hungry and I get the same result. Beep, Fans work, no video nor keyboard/mouse.

My card works fine on the other computer.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:24:11 AM

Ok sounds like your mobo does not support it. If you put your old card in your pc, it works right?
August 28, 2012 1:31:00 AM

Best answer selected by lordazura.
m
l
!