Random shutdowns: no bsod, no restart

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
First off I work a 3rd shift so Im sorry if I don't respond soon enough. NOW to the situation. about a year ago my custom built from a company started doing random shut downs and at that point i had never touched it myself software/bios/hardware related, but heres what exactly is going on and what i've tried so far.
It shuts down with no bsod randomly while watching videos or playing video games at different points never consistent. when it shuts down it will not restart even after i turn off the power switch and unplug the chord and plug it back in. it usually takes 10-15mins sometimes less. what i've tried so far is used ccleaner to fix any registry errors and that seemed to make it crash a little less often but still anytime i play games. I have installed a new cpu heat sink with copper piping and reapplied thermal paste that was recommended and that did drop my cpu core #0, #2 temps down which were hovering around 80 c during stress test. now they dont even break 40 degreees. but i did notice today that there was only one item around 70-75 degrees and i believe it was labeled TMIDO i think? im at work now and cant remember. other than that i have also replaced my graphics card and the problem still persist.

specs

antec 550watt psu
gigabyte motherboard with an i3-540
nvidia gtx660 graphics card
2-500gb harddisks

i can take screen shots of tests and pictures of my set-up when off for work but for now this is what i have.
-thank you kind people of the internets ;)

Quadacon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2013
like I said in your other thread; open windows event log, then you can see all system error, failures, warnings ect.
once you find out what is wrong example look at error codes and tell us what it says

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
didnt mean to post twice, using ipad so i blame it. i did do that and there are no errors before at at the time of crash. not in system or applications or anything. the only error is the kernal error about not shutting down properly

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Yea have done that a couple times but i figured tmpino really is the gpu temperature so i ran a video game with the automatic fan off and just put it at high using evga precision and played medal of honor war fighter for about 2 hours and didnt crash. So its either somehow gpu after all or like it has been doing, just being inconsistent when it decides to crash.

cLick1338

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
See that +12V line value? You better hope it's just a faulty reading. Otherwise you know what you have to do.

Besides that, I remember someone having a similar issue. The problem was not the computer itself, but it was caused by a shoddy power cable or a damaged outlet. If it's not that, maybe you're getting fluctuations from the power line, my computer shut down several times like that during violent weather.

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
*update*. took it to a technician and we(He) spent an hour testing the PSU first, then checking motherboard, followed by checking for root viruses. everything seemed fine. he agreed the 550w was enough but he eventually gave up and didnt charge me but gave me his business card and said call if i ever figure it out to let him know. i also agreed to get a new power supply with a new cable to see if problem persists. upon further research into the graphics card and power supply i saw that the graphics card min. amp required is 24 and the max on the 550w was 25amps so i figured buying the corsair gs700w would be fine. the problem happened again even with new cables and psu. no funny smell or anything. (speedfan is throwing voltages that neither bios nor OCCT show. which those two show appropiate voltages- just for the record) so i completely disassembled the computer down to the motherboard with nothing to show for it. there was no dust or blackened arced areas or anything melted and nothing on the back side of the bored either. then i assembled the computer outside of the casing and set it on a wood desk and reinstalled windows completely once again. this time after installing motherboard i updated the bios as well and i chose not to install any windows updates (sp1 or sp2) and problem has not repeated. i've played Medal of Honor war fighter for a total of about 2 hours and some Kerbal Space Program (which has crashed it before, btw it is definitely a fun little game). and nothing. KSP usually crashed it within 10-15 minutes every time i ran it but this time i played for about 30-45mins and never had a problem.

I do not prefer to have my components outside the case i only did this in assuming maybe metal contacts below the board were in contact with the case. i plan on doing a stress test before i reassemble just to be sure whether its case related or not which im aware it shouldnt be but im trying to rule everything out. i'm still open to ideas of anything else to try. temperatures though are still normal and if i refer to bios and occt so are the voltages. i dont know why speedfan is so off compared to them

be66971baekon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
last update. re-installed windows 7 put computer completely together with the original 550w a week ago and been doing everything with it and not a problem. i still hope to keep this open and wish to keep hearing further ideas or questions.