Sign in with
Your question

EVGA GTX 660TI vs. Sapphire Radeon 7850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2012 2:08:30 AM

I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 7850 but its giving me some problems. I am going to return it soon. My question to you guys is, should I get another 7850 or should I get an EVGA GTX 660TI and then sell the game code it comes with to make up the difference in price. I've done a bit of reading and from what I can gather the 660TI is 10-15% faster than the 7870, which should be at least a few % faster than the 7850. I also read that the performance of the 660TI for the average user would be lowered because the testing done with the 660TI was with a very high end CPU. People also had some concerns about the smaller memory bus on the 660TI and thought it would greatly impact performance. I currently have an i5-3570k at 4.2ghz, and 8G DDR3 at 1600Mhz. Would I get less performance from this card than someone with a more high end CPU? This Sapphire 7850 I'm currently using is actually my second one and I'm pretty frustrated with fan rattling and graphical errors in games even after switching between 4 different driver versions. What do you guys think, will this be a noticeable upgrade in performance for me? A side-grade? Also, how well is the GTX 660TI with overclocking? Currently, my 7850 is at 1000 core clock and 1250 memory clock. Any and all input is greatly appreciated and I look forward to seeing what you guys suggest, Thanks.
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:32:51 AM

I would return it and get a 660 TI for sure!
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:48:04 AM

Hello again bigcyco, if I remember correctly you helped me with my first build a few months back :)  Are you partial to nVidia or do you think its a sizeable upgrade, and are there any other reasons in particular you believe I should swap them?
m
l
Related resources
a c 624 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:50:29 AM

It looks like you're looking at about a 30% performance increase. If there's anything to be concerned about with the card's architecture at normal resolutions, it sure doesn't show in the reviews. When people talk about the drawbacks of the memory system, they're talking about relative differences, which ultimately amount to a few FPS here and there. It's not like all of a sudden at high resolutions or when AA is cranked up to max the card stops working. Remember, in addition to that extra performance, you also get PhysX (for that new Borderlands 2 release), Adaptive VSync, TXAA, FXAA, better driver support, and better game compatibility, etc.

By the way, where did you get the idea that a i5-3570k at 4.2ghz is a slow CPU?
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:52:15 AM

From reviews of the GTX 660TI. They made it sound like unless you have a really top of the line CPU, you won't get all of the GTX 660TI's potential. I also read that the 660TI is extremely poor with AA and Tessellation. Is this true?
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:53:21 AM

Quote:
I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 7850 but its giving me some problems...Currently, my 7850 is at 1000 core clock and 1250 memory clock.

So you put an extra 140MHz on the core and 50MHz on the memory and its the cards fault? Did it ever occur to you to leave it at stock or closer to stock to see if the problems would go away? Thanks for making Sapphire take the hit in a return because YOU OC'd the card. Way to go.

I vote cheaper (or best deal) of GTX660TI/7870. Be pretty hard to tell them apart. Unless you have a buyer for the game don't count on getting the money.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:55:40 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:
I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 7850 but its giving me some problems...Currently, my 7850 is at 1000 core clock and 1250 memory clock.

So you put an extra 140MHz on the core and 50MHz on the memory and its the cards fault? Did it ever occur to you to leave it at stock or closer to stock to see if the problems would go away? Thanks for making Sapphire take the hit in a return because YOU OC'd the card. Way to go.

I vote cheaper (or best deal) of GTX660TI/7870. Be pretty hard to tell them apart. Unless you have a buyer for the game don't count on getting the money.

I had all of these problems while at stock settings as well as when overclocked. You don't need to be so hostile, you could have simply asked me :) 
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:56:02 AM

AA and Tessellation will require lots of memory bandwidth. At high resolutions with lots of AA/Tess the card's 192bit bus comes into play and holds it back. As a percentage, the 660TI will take a bigger hit compared to other cards.
m
l
a c 148 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 3:06:41 AM

Matt1990 said:
From reviews of the GTX 660TI. They made it sound like unless you have a really top of the line CPU, you won't get all of the GTX 660TI's potential. I also read that the 660TI is extremely poor with AA and Tessellation. Is this true?

the card might starts to slow down when AA and tessellation being used but the card was far from extremely poor in that regards.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 3:11:49 AM

Matt1990 said:
Hello again bigcyco, if I remember correctly you helped me with my first build a few months back :)  Are you partial to nVidia or do you think its a sizeable upgrade, and are there any other reasons in particular you believe I should swap them?
Yes i did i remember now :)  and no i am not partial to nVidia i like both to be honest but i am not really impressed with the 7850 i thought it was good so i bought my wife one i was really upset with myself for buying it when my sons 480 which is a dinosaur aged card and power hog preformed better than it and ever since then i have never recommended the card again so i would say i have a strong dislike for the 7850 :lol: 
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:29:12 AM

I'd say get a 660ti for a few reasons

1) I personally own a 7850 and it's a good card. However, it doesn't really solidify itself as a "50FPS" in most heavy game card. I'd say the 660ti effectively puts you in that bracket.

2) I understand the 660ti has a smaller memory interface, however, the memory is actually clocker higher on the 660ti than on most high-end AMD cards, to make up for the lack fo interface bandwidth, so it evens out pretty well. The 7850 won't touch the 660ti even with a bigger interface.

3) The MSI 660ti does take in some power but a good clock increase will seat it equal to the 670, very good.

4) The memory performance isn't that bad at 1080p. At least, it trades blows with the 7950. I don't think I've see the 7870 touching it there.
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:32:51 AM

4745454b said:
AA and Tessellation will require lots of memory bandwidth. At high resolutions with lots of AA/Tess the card's 192bit bus comes into play and holds it back. As a percentage, the 660TI will take a bigger hit compared to other cards.

Hmm.. so how much of a hit can I expect at 1920x1080p ?

I think I will end up ordering a GTX 660ti tonight.. But which brand should I opt for
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:45:40 AM

Does the evga one still have decent cooling even though its the single fan blower design? I think the rest of the ones I've seen are all dual fan
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 3:47:37 AM

Matt1990 said:
Does the evga one still have decent cooling even though its the single fan blower design? I think the rest of the ones I've seen are all dual fan
the evga is louder from the reviews i have read
m
l
August 21, 2012 4:12:29 AM

Does anyone else have any input as to which brand is best
m
l
a c 148 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 4:26:06 AM

some people likes EVGA not just because they make solid cards but they also comes with nice support such as 90 days step up program. other than that each company offer solid product to the market. this one looks nice but i'm not sure when it will hit the market

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13906/
m
l
August 21, 2012 4:26:06 AM

I just watched a Newegg Tv video on GTX 660 TI performance benchmarks and the evga was much hotter in each game than the dual fan cards, as much as 17 degrees in one of them. I may end up going with the Galaxy.
m
l
August 21, 2012 4:29:31 AM

Matt1990 said:
Does anyone else have any input as to which brand is best

The MSI that bigcyco recommended is definintely good. In the GPU partners market, there has never been a true "king" of the sort. You pick your GPU based of what you find to be the most important, whether it be low-price(ZOTAC, HIS, Power Color come to mind), Cooling/factory overclock/premium quality (MSI, Galaxy, ASUS and Gigabyte -- MSI and ASUS are the better halves often).

Rest assured that if you choose between the latter group, you will be rewarded with reliable cooling solutions and Premium Voltage materials.

EDIT -- EVGA would definitely be part of the second group as well, but it looks like their 660ti is based off a reference fan design(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 8:00:34 PM

Yeah get the 660ti, its perfect for 1080p. For Crysis 3 ultra settings you would probably need another one.
m
l
!