DDR SDRAM for A7M266

G

Hi, I'm relatively new here (stranger is the word, I think). I just purchased two 256MB sets of PC2100 DDR SDRAM for my PC, which is based on the ASUS A7M266 mobo. I put the memory in (of course, I was grounded) and got nothing but long beeps. I replaced my original 128MB set of RAM, and the machine boots.

Later, I tried to put one of the 256MB sets in with the 128MB that I had (which was previously working) and the machine boots. Therefore, I'm assuming that the machine is not recognizing the new 256MB DDR SDRAM module.

What could be causing this?

I have updated my BIOS to the 1005 version which is the most current, and I even changed some of the voltage jumpers as indicated in the mobo manual, but still no recognition of the new RAM.

Could the RAM be bad?

Sean

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sbossinger on 10/21/01 05:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ok
what brand of memory, is it the same and how many slots are available? (2 I guess)
Try one stick at a time then alternate the sticks in the slots to see if one or both sticks are bad. If you have 3 slots check the manual again about which slots to install in etc.
Check bios and set it to default and save as you may be overclocking the memory timmings and or FSB.
What CPU are you using?
Double check all jumpers and ensure memory voltage is set to 2.5Volt as some boards set the default voltage lower or higher for some reason.

I dont know about the bios flash as I have a different board but it sounds like bad ram.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

All pertinent questions that I should have presented answers for in my original post, given that I am in the industry and deal with getting info from people on the phone ALL day long:

1) Memory Brand: Generic (Chipset is V+ S80016VHTW -75)

2) I bought two sticks at the same time from the same vendor. They are, as far as I can tell, identical.

3) This mobo has two slots

4) The CPU that I use is the AMD Athlon 1.2ghz/200mhz

5) I have tried the sticks one at a time, assuming bad ram. Got the same results (repeated long beeps with no boot).

6) I have adjusted the voltage according to some posts on the ASUS website by adjusting jumpers. This increased the RAM/chipset voltage to 2.8v, and then to 2.9v. Still no change. (I then reset the jumpers back to default).

The BIOS flash did add some items to the system relative to the DDR RAM. I have left these all at Auto, because of my lack of familiarity with adjusting them.

Thanks,
Sean

G

lol@helpdesk :lol:

Ok, so from what I'm reading from you is you tried both 256mb sticks together and separately on their own and no bananas right?
Then you tried both 256 sticks separately with the 128mb stick and it worked fine right?
(Silly question)-Are the sticks seated all the way in?

Your onboard/bios is set to 100FSB(200mhz) right?
Try setting memory voltage to 2.5volt as default can be 2.4 or 2.6volt, although generic DDR memory is sensitive to anything outside of spec' I do not think that’s the problem.
What size PSU do you have and is it generic?

Failing all that the ram is trash, send it back and get some <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT3264Z265" target="_new">Crucial</A> memory that’s guaranteed to work, I bought 2 x 256 pc2100 for $66.58 USD plus shipping.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just sometimes it can be the simplest things that are wrong...

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

I brought the memory home, pulled the 128 stick out and put in the two 256MB sticks. No dice. I pulled one stick, and left the other in the slot where my original memory was. No dice. I swapped the sticks. No dice. Then, I put my original 128 in the slot where it had been, and populated the other slot with one new stick of 256. The machine then powered on, but with 128MB of RAM. Thus, the other is not being recognized at all.

I tried setting the memory voltage to 2.5. No dice. I also tried the other voltages allowed. STILL no dice.

The BIOS is set to 200mhz FSB.

If I can get my money back from this chop-shop that I bought the memory from, I have plans on investing it in one 512MB stick of memory from a more reputable dealer, lesson learned.

Sean

G

Well sounds like yumm cha crap ram strikes again. Funny how both sticks dont work or it could be the shop gave ya someone elses problem. Good luck..

(Might want to try that 128mb stick in both Dimm slots to make sure the slots are fine, then go back to that shop and do some sideways insertion with the ram on the salesman)

G

Scotty, replaced the memory today. It does appear it was bad.

Thx for your help,
Sean