Sign in with
Your question

Black screen. No POST/BIOS?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 26, 2013 8:44:48 AM

Hi all, I THINK I'm having a CPU issue based on what I've been reading but I'm really not sure. PC has been working fine, shut down as normal yesterday without any signs of issue. Today, when pressing the power button fans come on, display lights up with a blank/black screen and nothing else happens. No beeps, no boot screens, no response to the F8/F10/Esc keys as people have suggested, cd/dvd drive will sound as if it's attempting to read but no response to OS boot disks. Will "restart" with ctrl+alt+dlt but that essentially just entails turning off and turning back on to the same black screen. Will turn off if you press the power button as usual, no need to hold it down for long periods or anything exceptional. Have tried booting with the RAM, hard drive and/or cd/dvd drive connected all with same results. Have dried removing CMOS battery, waiting and reinstalling that and +/- various components again and still same result. I'm kind of at a loss. Does this sound like CPU or are there other ideas?

More about : black screen post bios

February 26, 2013 10:18:33 AM

goalychic said:
Hi all, I THINK I'm having a CPU issue based on what I've been reading but I'm really not sure. PC has been working fine, shut down as normal yesterday without any signs of issue. Today, when pressing the power button fans come on, display lights up with a blank/black screen and nothing else happens. No beeps, no boot screens, no response to the F8/F10/Esc keys as people have suggested, cd/dvd drive will sound as if it's attempting to read but no response to OS boot disks. Will "restart" with ctrl+alt+dlt but that essentially just entails turning off and turning back on to the same black screen. Will turn off if you press the power button as usual, no need to hold it down for long periods or anything exceptional. Have tried booting with the RAM, hard drive and/or cd/dvd drive connected all with same results. Have dried removing CMOS battery, waiting and reinstalling that and +/- various components again and still same result. I'm kind of at a loss. Does this sound like CPU or are there other ideas?

Has your graphics card failed? Or Harddrive?
m
l
February 26, 2013 10:55:14 AM

-Try using a different display cable
-Use the display port on your MOBO instead of GPU
-Check all PSU connections to MOBO (24pin+4pin)

---NOTE---

-This doesn't look like a hard drive problem, as you should be able to get into the BIOS nonetheless.
-Your GPU could be faulty, hence the second step above.
m
l
!