FX 4300 Overheats on stock idle in Bios?!

zombiehawk

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
So I have my new build and it has MSI 990XA-GD55 AMD 990X motherboard and on it sits the FX 4300 piledriver.
When I am in bios just to check the temps it eventually increases to 60-65 and the heatsinks on the motherboard (The one closest to CPU I believe its the north bridge, can't remember which one is which) get really hot quickly.

However my only cooling is the cooler that it came with, the case doesn't have fans. I have ordered fans and new heat sink to put around the case but what makes me wonder is that is it going to change anything? because it shouldnt overheat that much in a first place? shouldn't it? Or does more airflow does make a huge difference.
My case is Bitfenix shinobi gaming case and it didn't come with the front fan unfortunately. But I just want to make sure if the fans that I will order to push the air around will fix this issue.

Regards,

zombiehawk

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
So what you saying is that the cooler that the cpu comes with its just S**t ? SO why would they pack something with a cpu that is not capable of cooling?

I will be getting this saturday new cooler and fully install fans all around the case and see how this works.

Hi,

Are you overclocking the cpu?If not the stock should be ok.

You should look at the heatsink because it might not be seated properly. You might have to reapply thermal paste.

On the other hand, the fact that the north bridge or south bridge is overheating might say that you have a defective or badly build mobo.

Might want to contact manufacturer and check if it's normal.

Also check in windows you temperatures, you might have problems with temperatures readings.

zombiehawk

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
yeah it is not overclocked, everything straight from the box.
When I will apply the new thermal paste, new fans and new heatsink and if the north/south bridge still overheats and if the temps dont go down Somehow I will be calling MSI.
Thanks for all comments guys! :)

Yeoman1000

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Is the processor still running that hot in windows?

I had the same thing with my 2500k, I think its just the bios being stupid? My bios would say the cpu was at 50 degrees, and that would steadily rise to about 65ish. I updated my bios at one point (not because I was concerned about the issue), but that happened to 'fix' the 'overheating issue'. From one reboot to the next, the temperature reading seemed to suddenly start reading properly (20-25degrees).

My Bios had been doing that for about 8 months until I just happened to update the bios cus I was going to overclock the processor. But, no matter what cooler or paste I had applied, the temperature reading in the BIOS was also way above the idle temp in windows. So you might not have a problem, but updating the bios could put your mind at rest.

devriesj

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Something don't sound right to me! You BIOS is set to "stock" settings. The cooler that comes with the cpu should work for you. A specially if BIOS is on "stock" settings. Check you cooler. Did you install it right? Did you use thermal paste? Did you pug the cpu fan into the mainboad? Yes people do forget to pug the fan in. :non:

How to install AMD FX CPU AND COOLER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WttIJpCZi-c

IF the Cooler was in fact install right with the thermal paste. The mainboad may need a bios update. OR the Temperature sensor on the mainboad may be DOA.

The bios uses a sensor in the cpu socket. Not the core temp of the cpu. For me the bios temp is always 10c hotter then the cpu core temp.

You can set shut down temperature in the bios to you cpus max temp (61c for fx cpu) for safety.
Then load windows and check temps with CPUID hardware monitor.

Quote : AMD says the maximum safe temperature to run any FX-series processor at is 61C, so the standard air cooler that comes with the retail processors is more than enough to keep it nice and cool. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1741/18/

zombiehawk

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I did plug the fan in, at first i plugged it in into wrong one (Into sys fan 2 rather than cpu fan) But that didnt make difference.

Thermal paste was already applied on the heat sink.
I just checked the BIOS updates and looks like there is a special update for the Piledriver architecture so I gotta do this one asap.

But yeah it seems like the cooler it came with doesnt keep it cool :( .
It might be I have installed it wrong but it doenst move about, it is solid in place on the cpu.
I will double check everything.

devriesj

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
OK do the update, then check bios temp and cpuid hardware monitor before buying new cooler. I think you will be good after the update. Have some faith.

ifreestylin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I had this problem with my A10 5800k and MSI FM2-A75MA-E35. Someone told me that the bios put your CPU at a %100 so thats why the temps are so high. boot to windows and use click bios2 from MSI to check your temps

anthonyorr

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
BIOS doesn't usually slam you CPU to 100% it just doesn't manage processor power very well while in BIOS, I think it has something to do with the solstice or some such.

zombiehawk

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Just to let everyone know the issue is fixed!
I have installed total of 6 fans around a case and a new heatsink with two fans on it! Thats 8 fans!

The temps dont hit 34c .... :)

Conclusion: The solution is AIRFLOW! :D

ifreestylin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Ok great glad you figured it out