Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building a new computer, CPU

Last response: in CPUs
February 26, 2013 12:32:49 PM

Well the title is a bit off, to avoid anything to much clutter and such.

I'm currently building a brand new computer, from scratch it would be my first, considering the three OEM machines I've ran with the last 20 years. I've always had a pretty limited budget, and these OEM' machines are pretty cheap on ebay, hell I could buy this same computer for $100 , have spare parts.. and.. yet still get away with this crap.--

Anyway, on to the topic, I'm currently running on a Dell Dimension E521, for those who don't know, this computer is from 2005-2006. Pretty ancient, running a pentium D, it's not until recently, that my computer habits have gotten to intensive for me to even enjoy my time on it. Applications running in the background, I tend to 'multi-task' a lot.

Originally, I was going to go with an AMD, it was cheap, fit my short budget, and I really liked the FX-6300. But considering I wanted to make an informed decision, I also wanted to invest in a long-term means. Something that would last, me another 5-6 years.

So, I found out that, AMD's current line is EVEN worse than their Phenomon, which was quite a few years ago.

I'll be a bit more to the point: FX-6300, or FX8350, or should I go an extra mile, and attempt to invest in buying something like, say, the "i5-3570K" (Ivy Bridge, at $230-$240) My research has proven time and time again, through benchmark references, and simply over countless browsing, doesn't give me much hope for AMD.

So, My question is, is the "i5-3570K" worth it, will it give me what I want, and last me five years? I've not much money to spare, but I can easily put money to the side, and it'll set me up for my gaming hobbies. Considering currently I run around on a Pentium D 805 on modern games struggling to play and enjoy everything.

I really wonder, whats it like to play a game not at 10 fps. <_< I've been through countless videocards, but I've learned from some piece of information, that my Pentium D can't push my videocard, and may perhaps be hindering it's performance. Well Really I made this longer than it should have been. I just wanted to write out my thoughts, and sort of get my message across, from where I'm coming home.

I also apologize if I've posted in the wrong place, and please give me constructive criticism/feedback/input and the like. I'd like a definite solid reason. I'm still peering through a variety of articles on tom's hardware, but I feel a need for some opinions. Or maybe find out there are better solutions.

More about : building computer cpu

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 26, 2013 12:49:57 PM

3570k is worth it if you want to overclock. they offer cheaper 3xxx series non k processors if you want to stick with stock clocks
in my experience intel processors are better for gaming as for the same price you can have a higher clocked quad core and overclock or an amd 8 core with slower cores.
price per performance amd is better, intel is premium as they are faster but you pay more
February 26, 2013 12:53:00 PM

alvine said:
3570k is worth it if you want to overclock. they offer cheaper 3xxx series non k processors if you want to stick with stock clocks
in my experience intel processors are better for gaming as for the same price you can have a higher clocked quad core and overclock or an amd 8 core with slower cores.
price per performance amd is better, intel is premium as they are faster but you pay more

I want the overclocking potential, I don't plan to do so immediately right out of the box, but I consider the overclocking more or less, apart of the growth potential. I don't have much experience in this, so I appreciate the feedback. :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2013 1:06:35 PM

okay well then get the 3570k with a z77 chipset motherboard, 8 gigs of ddr3 1600 ram (4gb stick x 2)
i can make you a parts list if you give us your budget
February 26, 2013 1:41:06 PM

The best processor out there is the i7
February 26, 2013 1:58:03 PM

Well, my budget isn't preset. I just can't spend more than $600/$700. Since I've already a videocard, I'm just working to buy a decent mobo, and processor. I already bought a case.. and a power supply. Although I- I don't think the psu is incompatible with the processor or will.. I didn't think to look into anything like that. (Sure there isn't such things, and it should work right?)

Other than that, I have an ATX formfactor case, also I got caught by the eyecandy that is UEFI. I don't intend to make a full fledged gaming computer, So I don't need to spend extra large amounts of money on a mobo that has 4 pcie slots or whatever have you.

I'm really liking ASUS motherboards. and yeah I already assumed 8gb of ram was plenty. (I barely use 3gb ram unless I'm playing 4x games, strategy/ or more memory intensive games, or really new .. things. )

But Feel free to drop me that opinion. and as for you, @1029, I don't think i7 is the 'best' processor out there, kind of thinking really applies. It's more around budget, yet still getting that nice bit of performance for me. :) 

My maximum budget right now is no more than $650, but currently I'm siting on $170, as I had planned originally to build the computer piece by piece, with spare income, that I could use.
February 26, 2013 2:56:19 PM

i5 vs i7 isnt that big a difference for games, since you're on budget get the i5. What video card do you have currently?
February 26, 2013 3:19:12 PM

maustin325 said:
i5 vs i7 isnt that big a difference for games, since you're on budget get the i5. What video card do you have currently?

Radeon HD 5670, it works pretty well for me, but I think my CPU is actually bottlenecking the GPU. But not sure on that, only making speculation. (but not really going to get on that topic.)
February 26, 2013 3:30:23 PM

Do you live near a microcenter store? they have the i5 3570k for $190 and i7-3770k for $230?
February 26, 2013 4:04:56 PM

Here is what i come up with on your budget:

I5 3570k for $220 @ http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Mobo: Asus p8z77 - V (comes with 8gb of Corsair Vengence Ram) for $150 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 1 TB for $100 @ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&...

Optical Drive - you can find a $20-$30 dvd anywhere really

Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $24 after rebate @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS - Win 7 OEM for $100 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So i get $620 with this build, i believe you have the rest.
March 1, 2013 2:25:23 PM

Best answer selected by Fusioneko.
!