Solved

Building a new computer, CPU

Well the title is a bit off, to avoid anything to much clutter and such.

I'm currently building a brand new computer, from scratch it would be my first, considering the three OEM machines I've ran with the last 20 years. I've always had a pretty limited budget, and these OEM' machines are pretty cheap on ebay, hell I could buy this same computer for $100 , have spare parts.. and.. yet still get away with this crap.--

Anyway, on to the topic, I'm currently running on a Dell Dimension E521, for those who don't know, this computer is from 2005-2006. Pretty ancient, running a pentium D, it's not until recently, that my computer habits have gotten to intensive for me to even enjoy my time on it. Applications running in the background, I tend to 'multi-task' a lot.

Originally, I was going to go with an AMD, it was cheap, fit my short budget, and I really liked the FX-6300. But considering I wanted to make an informed decision, I also wanted to invest in a long-term means. Something that would last, me another 5-6 years.

So, I found out that, AMD's current line is EVEN worse than their Phenomon, which was quite a few years ago.

I'll be a bit more to the point: FX-6300, or FX8350, or should I go an extra mile, and attempt to invest in buying something like, say, the "i5-3570K" (Ivy Bridge, at $230-$240) My research has proven time and time again, through benchmark references, and simply over countless browsing, doesn't give me much hope for AMD.

So, My question is, is the "i5-3570K" worth it, will it give me what I want, and last me five years? I've not much money to spare, but I can easily put money to the side, and it'll set me up for my gaming hobbies. Considering currently I run around on a Pentium D 805 on modern games struggling to play and enjoy everything.

I really wonder, whats it like to play a game not at 10 fps. <_< I've been through countless videocards, but I've learned from some piece of information, that my Pentium D can't push my videocard, and may perhaps be hindering it's performance. Well Really I made this longer than it should have been. I just wanted to write out my thoughts, and sort of get my message across, from where I'm coming home.

I also apologize if I've posted in the wrong place, and please give me constructive criticism/feedback/input and the like. I'd like a definite solid reason. I'm still peering through a variety of articles on tom's hardware, but I feel a need for some opinions. Or maybe find out there are better solutions.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building computer
  1. Best answer
    3570k is worth it if you want to overclock. they offer cheaper 3xxx series non k processors if you want to stick with stock clocks
    in my experience intel processors are better for gaming as for the same price you can have a higher clocked quad core and overclock or an amd 8 core with slower cores.
    price per performance amd is better, intel is premium as they are faster but you pay more
  2. alvine said:
    3570k is worth it if you want to overclock. they offer cheaper 3xxx series non k processors if you want to stick with stock clocks
    in my experience intel processors are better for gaming as for the same price you can have a higher clocked quad core and overclock or an amd 8 core with slower cores.
    price per performance amd is better, intel is premium as they are faster but you pay more

I want the overclocking potential, I don't plan to do so immediately right out of the box, but I consider the overclocking more or less, apart of the growth potential. I don't have much experience in this, so I appreciate the feedback. :)
  3. okay well then get the 3570k with a z77 chipset motherboard, 8 gigs of ddr3 1600 ram (4gb stick x 2)
    i can make you a parts list if you give us your budget
  4. The best processor out there is the i7
  5. Well, my budget isn't preset. I just can't spend more than $600/$700. Since I've already a videocard, I'm just working to buy a decent mobo, and processor. I already bought a case.. and a power supply. Although I- I don't think the psu is incompatible with the processor or will.. I didn't think to look into anything like that. (Sure there isn't such things, and it should work right?)

Other than that, I have an ATX formfactor case, also I got caught by the eyecandy that is UEFI. I don't intend to make a full fledged gaming computer, So I don't need to spend extra large amounts of money on a mobo that has 4 pcie slots or whatever have you.

I'm really liking ASUS motherboards. and yeah I already assumed 8gb of ram was plenty. (I barely use 3gb ram unless I'm playing 4x games, strategy/ or more memory intensive games, or really new .. things. )

But Feel free to drop me that opinion. and as for you, @1029, I don't think i7 is the 'best' processor out there, kind of thinking really applies. It's more around budget, yet still getting that nice bit of performance for me. :)

My maximum budget right now is no more than $650, but currently I'm siting on $170, as I had planned originally to build the computer piece by piece, with spare income, that I could use.
  6. i5 vs i7 isnt that big a difference for games, since you're on budget get the i5. What video card do you have currently?
  7. maustin325 said:
    i5 vs i7 isnt that big a difference for games, since you're on budget get the i5. What video card do you have currently?

Radeon HD 5670, it works pretty well for me, but I think my CPU is actually bottlenecking the GPU. But not sure on that, only making speculation. (but not really going to get on that topic.)
  8. Do you live near a microcenter store? they have the i5 3570k for $190 and i7-3770k for $230?
  9. Here is what i come up with on your budget:

I5 3570k for $220 @ http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2373004&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Mobo: Asus p8z77 - V (comes with 8gb of Corsair Vengence Ram) for $150 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

Hard Drive: Western Digital Black 1 TB for $100 @ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=734069

Optical Drive - you can find a $20-$30 dvd anywhere really

Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $24 after rebate @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

OS - Win 7 OEM for $100 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

So i get $620 with this build, i believe you have the rest.
  10. Best answer selected by Fusioneko.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Product