Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from HD5770 Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2012 5:59:09 AM

Hey everyone with news of Mists of Pandaria coming out next month I've decided I want to run a dual monitor setup at last, though I am having trouble deciding what card to move up to. At present my HD5770 is doing fine on a 22" 1080p monitor, but it's time to bump it up to two. I'm going to attempt to use this template properly, so please bear with me.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of next month if possible. My budget is $300-$450 dollars but the closer to 300 the better.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, needs to run Skyrim on COMPLETE max settings without super overheating, and the secondary monitor running at 1080p for web-surfing.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD5770 and a 550W Power supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 860: 8GB 1,333MHz DDR3 SDRAM: Intel H57
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tigerdirect or Bestbuy (Have mercy I'm new to this.)
PARTS PREFERENCES: NVidia preferably EVGA as I heard they have good warranties.

OVERCLOCKING: No overclocking

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Two monitors at 1920x1080p one gaming and other only casual surfing.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Good warranty is a plus, excellent cooling is the biggest plus. And on a side note I have a few in mind.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... : The new GTX 660 ti that is quite affordable.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... : The price is almost cring-worthy and I can't help but think there are cheaper models without Boderlands 2.

Thanks TON for any comments or suggestions on this matter. It's time to upgrade dang-it!

More about : upgrading hd5770

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 6:21:02 AM

what brand is your PSU?
asking because sticker rating can be miss leading or all together wrong if it's a cheap PSU

id pick the 660ti.

m
l
August 21, 2012 6:25:44 AM

Ohmybad said:
what brand is your PSU?
asking because sticker rating can be miss leading or all together wrong if it's a cheap PSU

id pick the 660ti.

I'll have to open the case later to get a good look, I know it's certainly not name brand. Also do you think the 660ti can handle the requirements I'm looking for? Or is shelling out that extra 100 bucks really worth it in the long run? I really appreciate your response by the way Ohmybad. :3
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 6:47:30 AM

if you're gaming on a single monitor +1xtra 660ti will handle it easy, i do the same with my 6870 (not @1080) but i can play BF3 and watch a movie @ the same time.

if you're going to put a nice GPU in make sure you have a PSU that will power it, PSU brands to look for are Antec, Seasonic, corsair, xfx, w/ a bronze or better energy efficient rating.

m
l
August 21, 2012 6:59:50 AM

Ohmybad said:
if you're gaming on a single monitor +1xtra 660ti will handle it easy, i do the same with my 6870 (not @1080) but i can play BF3 and watch a movie @ the same time.

if you're going to put a nice GPU in make sure you have a PSU that will power it, PSU brands to look for are Antec, Seasonic, corsair, xfx, w/ a bronze or better energy efficient rating.

So then you don't think it's worth it to go to the 670? In my mind it was either get a new ps3 or a new video card. Considering new themed xbox's are 400 bucks I presumed the 670 would be solid for about two years or so on newer games? Also what do you think of this power supply? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

It's presently on sale for a good price, and once again thank you for the feedback Ohmybad! :na: 
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 7:19:19 AM

The 670 is only like 8% better, which isnt really that much of a jump.
m
l
August 21, 2012 7:21:43 AM

Deemo13 said:
The 670 is only like 8% better, which isnt really that much of a jump.

Good point, so if you wouldn't mind answering another question, would it be much better to buy the 3gb version over the 2gb version of the 660ti? It's only like an extra fifteen bucks or so.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 7:55:16 AM

2gb will be fine, you wont use that much vram unless you go to three screens
m
l
!