How to set up a LAN without breaking home networks

headless97

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I'm going to a LAN party with some friends soon. We've tried to have one many times before but it always fails because we cannot get the computers to link up. The reason for that, I think, is because the host (of the party) has his computer on a home network. I need to know how to get all of our computers talking to each other without making it hard for him to get back on his home network.

I have a Linksys WRT54g broadband router that I used to use for internet and LAN on my home network. I currently use a Linksys WRT160N V3, but I was hoping to not have to remove that one... 4 computers at the party will be using Win 7 and the 5th is running XP.

I've read some things about homegroups and networks and ip addresses, but I don't understand and need help. How can I set these 5 computers up to play games with each other and how to I ensure that we will be able to use our home networks when it's over? Please be specific and provide step-by-step instructions. Assume I know nothing because it's probably true.

Thanks in advance!

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Make sure that no one has a static IP set.
Windows 7 is a bit more lenient when it comes to workgroup names, however the XP machine should be set to the same workgroup as the rest of them. From memory the default workgroup is just "WORKGROUP".

Assuming you use the WRT160N, one person will have to connect via wireless. Shouldn't cause any issues.