Should I upgrade my PC or wait for Haswell?

RazgrizX

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hello

I want to upgrade my rig. I usually used it for gaming and watching full hd movies.
but should I wait for 4th Generation Core Processor from Intel?

My Specs
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2400MHz Bus speed: 1066MHz (Overclocking @ 3.0-3.2GHz)
Kingston® Value Memory DDR2 DRAM 800MHz 4096MB (2048x2) Dual-channel
Gigabyte® GeForce™ GTX680 GDDR5 2048MB PCI-E 3.0
Creative® SoundBlaster™ X-Fi Titanium Fatality PCIe
Asus® Xonar™ Essence ST PCI
Asus® P5KR Motherboard PCI-E 1.1, SATA 3.0Gb/s
Western Digital® Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Western Digital® Green 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
Samsung® Writemaster™ DVD-RW
LG® DVD-RW
Floppy Disk Drive
Raidmax® 730w PSU

UPGRADE TO...

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (A little Overclocking in mind)
G.Skills® Ripjaws™ DDR3 DRAM 2133MHz 8192MB (4096x2) Dual-channel
Asus® P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard PCI-E 3.0, SATA 6.0 Gb/s + PCI Slots

The other is the same.

I could played Crysis 3 with maximum graphic setting in my old system though but fps dropped sharply in open-field.
Should I wait longer?

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you can live with how your current system performs, I'd wait since it's only a couple of months away. There probably won't be huge performance gains, but wouldn't want to build on a dead platform (1155) this close to the next socket.

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
well i am not sure what intel is going to produce!you may wait and the new cpus wont even fit to your system i always say think about now!but in this case your system can handle pc games cause the quad!so my advise is to wait!

If you can live with how your current system performs, I'd wait since it's only a couple of months away. There probably won't be huge performance gains, but wouldn't want to build on a dead platform (1155) this close to the next socket.

Solution
Haswell is not likely to be a major improvement in performance over Ivy Bridge since the focus is to lower power consumption as much as possible so that some Haswell CPUs can be used tablets which is the current growth market. The desktop PC market has been contracting for a few years, and laptops sales have slowed down to mid-single digit.

The biggest improvement for the desktop Haswell CPU is the Intel HD 4600 graphic core (GT2) which is estimated to be a 20% improvement over the Intel HD 4000.

The increase in CPU performance (assuming same clockspeed) will probably be around 6% - 8% over Ivy Bridge. Not a significant improvement. But that is just a guess. Everyone needs to wait for Intel's NGA (Non Disclosure Agreement) to expire before official reviews be written.

Anyone breaking an NGA could lead to something as simple as no more future products provided by Intel for preview/review or up to something as serious as a lawsuit.

The biggest improvement is the supposedly named Intel HD 5000 (GT3) which will be exclusive to mobile CPUs only. The Intel HD 4000 has 16 shaders. The Intel HD 4600 (GT2) will have 20 shaders and is estimated to be a 20% improvement over the HD 4000. The HD 5000 (GT3) will have 40 shaders. Current guess-timates ranges from between 50% to 100% more powerful than the Intel HD 4000.

While there are 40 shaders, there are some speculation that Intel will be lowering the core clockspeed (compared to the HD 4000) in the iGPU to lower power consumption.