DHCP DNS (obtain DNS server automatically) not working

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

Running Windows XP Pro. No domain server. Using a broadband router as the
DHCP server. All other PCs on the network find the DNS server fine.

The problem PC had spyware on it and I removed it using various tools. I
believe this has caused the problem. I have Googled for days to find a
solution. There is an XP Winsock Fix that I've tried with no luck.

Any ideas?

Mister_K

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

Have you tried uninstalling the TCP/IP protocol stack from the NIC card
properties ... and then add it back ??

--

===========================
= www.oyamaphotogrphy.com =

Mister_K <misterkash@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> NuQ wrote:
>> Running Windows XP Pro. No domain server. Using a broadband router
>> as the DHCP server. All other PCs on the network find the DNS
>> server fine. The problem PC had spyware on it and I removed it using
>> various
>> tools. I believe this has caused the problem. I have Googled for
>> days to find a solution. There is an XP Winsock Fix that I've tried
>> with no luck. Any ideas?
> Have you tried uninstalling the TCP/IP protocol stack from the NIC
> card properties ... and then add it back ??

To be honest, I don't remember if I did or not. It's been a few weeks since
I tried to solve it. My work around was to just add the DNS servers
manually which fine, except when it's taken to another network. It's a
laptop (I should have mentioned).

I believe that I did try that, but I'll do it just to make sure. Thanks for
the suggestion!