DHCP DNS (obtain DNS server automatically) not working

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

Running Windows XP Pro. No domain server. Using a broadband router as the
DHCP server. All other PCs on the network find the DNS server fine.

The problem PC had spyware on it and I removed it using various tools. I
believe this has caused the problem. I have Googled for days to find a
solution. There is an XP Winsock Fix that I've tried with no luck.

Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about dhcp obtain server automatically working
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,comp.os.ms-windows.networking (More info?)

    Have you tried uninstalling the TCP/IP protocol stack from the NIC card
    properties ... and then add it back ??

    --

    ===========================
    = www.oyamaphotogrphy.com =

    Mister_K <misterkash@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    > NuQ wrote:
    >> Running Windows XP Pro. No domain server. Using a broadband router
    >> as the DHCP server. All other PCs on the network find the DNS
    >> server fine. The problem PC had spyware on it and I removed it using
    >> various
    >> tools. I believe this has caused the problem. I have Googled for
    >> days to find a solution. There is an XP Winsock Fix that I've tried
    >> with no luck. Any ideas?
    > Have you tried uninstalling the TCP/IP protocol stack from the NIC
    > card properties ... and then add it back ??

    To be honest, I don't remember if I did or not. It's been a few weeks since
    I tried to solve it. My work around was to just add the DNS servers
    manually which fine, except when it's taken to another network. It's a
    laptop (I should have mentioned).

    I believe that I did try that, but I'll do it just to make sure. Thanks for
    the suggestion!

Networking DNS Server