Internet connection problems after reboot or power up.

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Hello,

Every time I power on my PC, or reboot, my internet connection does not work for a few mins. Windows loads with out errors and shows the little blue circle on my Network Icon. Then the icon goes to a red x for a few mins, then goes to a Yellow triangle thing and then it goes away. After that the internet works fine. Also, about every other day I get packet loss and random disconnects.

This is my network setup.
1. Windows 7 professional 64bit PC and an Acer Windows Vista 64bit home premium Laptop.
2. ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 motherboard with most current Network driver from Asus website.
3. D-Link DIR-655 Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router running from my cable modem to my PC and spitting wireless to my house. The wireless never seems to have a problem. I have not updated the firmware because of brick fears.
4. I have a Motorola SURFboard® Cable Modem SB5100. I own it and it's from about 2004. Not sure if that matters.

Troubleshooting I've done.

1. Unplugged the cable modem.
2. Updated the mobo LAN driver from ASUS website.
3. Rebooted Wireless router.
4. Plugged and unplugged all network jacks to make sure they are in tight.
5. Checked that cable is tightly screwed into cable jack in wall and in back of cable modem.
6. When the internet connection drops or shows packet loss I do the Ipconfig/release and Ipconfig/renew.

It's almost like after every reboot Windows 7 looses my network info and has to re-detect it all over again. It is really odd.

Any light you guys or gals can shed on this is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Solution
I had this problem when I had NOD32 antivirus installed. But if you say this is happening only when over-clocking, that might have been the problem. Could it be that the Lan card isn't getting enough power? I don't have that PC any more so I can't check.

I also had an asus mobo,can't remember what series tho.

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Hans,

After months of this problem my motherboard decided it no longer liked my overclock and made me restore to default settings. After I did that the problem went away. Once I overclocked again the problem came back. To get around the problem I setup my PC in BIOS to turn on before I start work so the problem has time to go away before I use the computer.

I have no idea why overclocking the CPU and memory would do this, but that seems to be the cause. I am in no hurry to get a new motherboard so I am living with it.

My motherboard is an Asus P5QL Pro

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I had this problem when I had NOD32 antivirus installed. But if you say this is happening only when over-clocking, that might have been the problem. Could it be that the Lan card isn't getting enough power? I don't have that PC any more so I can't check.

I also had an asus mobo,can't remember what series tho.

Solution

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Actually I checked it again and resetting my Motherboard back to default setting does not fix the problem. I read some forums and removing Bonjour and turning off Windows 7 sleep mode might solve the problem. I tried removing Bonjour and that did not work. I have turned off sleep mode but I won't know if that works until my next reboot.

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Hello,

I Finally found a fix for this problem.

1.I went into device manager and looked at the driver details.
2. I then chose to uninstall the driver.
3. Check-marked "Uninstall Driver software"
4. Clicked OK.
5. It uninstalled the driver and the Network adapter. It completely dissapeared from the Device Manager screen. For a second I was nervous. I said, "WTF did I do?"
6. I then clicked "Action" at the top of the Device manager and chose "Scan for hardware changes."
7. Bam the Network adapter came back. I checked the driver version and it was 1.0.0.15. The one I had before the uninstall was 1.0.0.22.
8. I rebooted the PC.
9. Windows booted up and the internet connected without issue!

I guess updating the driver isn't always the best option. :)

JMAc789

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Thanks! This has worked for me also (so far!!) I was about 3 reboots away from giving up on Win7 and going back to XP for good. I have Asus P5Q MB w/ atheros AR8121 NIC and it was a crapshoot when I reboot if I connect or not. Boot to XP on another partition... no problem EVER. Tried latest drivers for everything, kill sleep mode, etc... no luck, but 3 reboots now and a sleep mode test and all is well.

JMM58

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Had the same internet connection problem here at startup but also solved by accident and you guys won't belief how it happened...just uninstalled the Nvidia Gforce Experience software and hopla, everything works fine now...weird..:??:

Have to test with a new Gforce Experience install and see if this anoying problem pops up again. (Gigabyte Z77 UDH5)

staircase0

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

Old topic but it works for windows 8.1 too. Thanks!!

Amykins28

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I'm trying this fix but where do I look at the driver details? Its saying that my CD/ROM driver isn't working, but I don't want to go deleting drivers unless I know exactly which one you all are talking about! I too am using Windows 8. Thanks![/i]