[BUILD READY] Is this $1,200 Gaming PC ready?

Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kie7

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.88 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($387.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.56 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1312.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

please let me know if there is anything you think I should change. Also, will I need to buy any cords or anything for this or will it all be included? Are there any accessories I should get to help me build it. (yes, it is my first build)

THANKS COMMUNITY FOR HELPING ME SO MUCH WITH THIS BUILD!

P.S. Does anyone think I should upgrade to an i7 or is it a complete waste. I am worried in the future i will regret getting an i5. Also, is the 23" monitor I got a good deal? Is it worth it to upgrade to a 24". My plan was to eventually go up to 3 23" monitors once I have more money so I make good use of the GPU I Selected.
14 answers Last reply
More about build ready gaming ready
  1. looks good to me
  2. The build looks really good!

You do not need go get cables, etc, it is all included with the parts.

As it is a gaming PC, there is no need to go i7, unless you have to work with editing/rendering, among other heavy apps. Yes for gaming an i7 is overkill.

For $10 more I´d get Hyper 212 EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
  3. jemm said:
    The build looks really good!

As it is a gaming PC, there is no need to go i7, unless you have to work with editing/rendering, among other heavy apps. Yes for gaming an i7 is overkill.

For $10 more I´d get Hyper 212 EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Why get the EVO? The two seemed identical to me, but I am clearly missing something.
  4. Better fan and redesigned base. It's a small improvement. Whether it's even worth $10 is debatable, but since your system is already way over $1000 you can probably afford the upgrade.

Are you thinking about upgrading with a second graphics card later? If you aren't, you could get a cheaper PSU. Otherwise it's a pretty good choice.
  5. Sakkura said:
    Better fan and redesigned base. It's a small improvement. Whether it's even worth $10 is debatable, but since your system is already way over $1000 you can probably afford the upgrade.

Are you thinking about upgrading with a second graphics card later? If you aren't, you could get a cheaper PSU. Otherwise it's a pretty good choice.

I figured I would get a PSU that would afford me that option, so I don't regret not getting more power later. Once, my graphics card starts to get a little dated I was thinking I would just add a second. Therefore, It seemed reasonable to just get a better PSU now. However, I am still undecided whether or not that is the best course of action.
  6. beegeepee said:
    I figured I would get a PSU that would afford me that option, so I don't regret not getting more power later. Once, my graphics card starts to get a little dated I was thinking I would just add a second. Therefore, It seemed reasonable to just get a better PSU now. However, I am still undecided whether or not that is the best course of action.

It makes sense and the PSU is an excellent choice for that plan.

The only potential problem is that graphics cards aren't on the market forever. It's still nice to have the Crossfire option though.
  7. If you change your mind about getting a second card, then get a Corsair 550W, which will give you some room for overclock.
  8. Sakkura said:
    It makes sense and the PSU is an excellent choice for that plan.

The only potential problem is that graphics cards aren't on the market forever. It's still nice to have the Crossfire option though.

I was wondering how the % usage of the PSU matters. Like, will there be any benefit of only using 450W/750W available compared to using all 100%? Will it affect the lifetime of the PSU/and or performance of the PSU
  9. Yes, it matter -- if you use it at 100% it will get hot, making heating to other parts too.
  10. jemm said:
    Yes, it matter -- if you use it at 100% it will get hot, making heating to other parts too.

ahhh ok thanks!
  11. You are very welcome! :)
  12. I would get an external optical not an internal.
  13. jemm said:
    The build looks really good!

id recommend a hdmi cord for your screen if you dont already have more. having sounds and video in one cord is nice. that is if you are using head phones from the screen like me.
  14. beegeepee said:
    I was wondering how the % usage of the PSU matters. Like, will there be any benefit of only using 450W/750W available compared to using all 100%? Will it affect the lifetime of the PSU/and or performance of the PSU

It's better to use a PSU that will be between 20% and 80% of its capacity. Efficiency peaks somewhere around or a bit above 50%, dropping when you get close to (or beyond) 100%, and especially when you get below 10%. So if you weren't even considering going for two graphics cards later on, it would be better to get a ~550W PSU than the 750W one.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product