Sign in with
Your question

Liquid damage on computer parts.

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2012 3:26:56 PM

So I accidentally spilled some tea on my pc case and some got in trought the top fan, I did the usual drill of unplugging in from power, taking it apart, cleaning all the visible liquid and leaving it to dry for a couple of days, now waiting for result.

Anyways what I wanted to ask is, if I bring it for warranty and forget to mention that I spilled anything into my case, do they actually have any way to see that the cause was water damage if there is no visible signs?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2012 3:52:44 PM

Most users will look down on invalid warranty claims. The chances are you would get by(but are technically scamming a company), but you also have a good chance that the system will be just fine once cleaned.

I have seem some good spins in computers and once cleaned, they worked just fine.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2012 4:31:04 PM

Oddly enough, my cat kicked a cup of tea into my side fan earlier this year, which shot it everywhere. The computer immediately shut down. After drying everything out it still wouldn't start, the GPU was causing a short and tripping the overload protection, the overclock was unstable, and it was dropping drives from the raid arrays.

Finally ended up having to up the CPU voltage, clean drives and rebuild the arrays a few times, but I couldn't find anything wrong with the GPU, it just kept shorting.

Sat on it a few months but it was a great card and I finally sent it in, before i tore it all the way apart looking for the blown IC, telling them it was shorting and expecting it back unfixed, or a repair bill. They just sent me a new card.

So. Don't expect no issues... And the warranty... I am sure depends on the company. They definitely have a customer for life now though.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2012 4:36:32 PM

What company did you deal with?
October 15, 2012 9:48:46 AM

Well guys seems like I dodged a major bullet, put pc back together today and had no problems so far, I am quite surprised actually since it wasn't even water but tea and it left all kinds of stuff all over the motherboard and video card, that I had to clean with alcohol. I suppose the good thing is the card was fans down.

Wandering now why on earth did I buy a chassis with a hole for a fan on top, if I don't even plan to put one in :ange: 

Also, when I was checking if CPU was wet, I noticed that the pasta on fan and cpu is black and seems almost burnt, is that normal, or should I get new one on there?
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 9:56:09 AM

r4mark said:
pasta on fan and cpu is black and seems almost burnt

Silly, computers are for computing, not cooking :lol: 
Would be pretty interesting to see if you could get a CPU to cook some pasta...

Never have heard of thermal paste burning before. even with ridiculously overclocked and hot CPU's.
What colour was the paste originally and how long has it been since the last application? If its been more than a year, the thermal paste could have dried out.
Whenever you take the heatsink off you have to re-paste it. If you just put it back on it can lead to air bubbles and such.
October 15, 2012 10:11:53 AM

manofchalk said:
Silly, computers are for computing, not cooking :lol: 
Would be pretty interesting to see if you could get a CPU to cook some pasta...

Never have heard of thermal paste burning before. even with ridiculously overclocked and hot CPU's.
What colour was the paste originally and how long has it been since the last application? If its been more than a year, the thermal paste could have dried out.
Whenever you take the heatsink off you have to re-paste it. If you just put it back on it can lead to air bubbles and such.

PC is a month old only and I believe the paste was normal grey color originally. The black one is only on CPU, but there's a thick amount of grey paste on Heatsink still altough the top of that is black aswell.
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 10:20:23 AM

Strange. Only thing I can think of is that the paste has oxidized with the air, but I don't even know if that can happen. Maybe if the paste is based off a metal.

Eh, just clean it off and buy a good brand of paste like Arctic Silver or MX. Never heard of this issue before.
October 15, 2012 10:24:49 AM

The top of paste on both CPU and Heatsink looks exactly like burnt paper or ashes, tought that was normal and closed it up :sweat: 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2012 7:21:13 PM

Check the temps, If they are good, don't worry :) 

When you remove a heatsink, you should generally always reapply the paste(I have reused a few times when testing things).

Get some wood or plastic and screw it into the top of the case to cover that hole(from the inside so it does not look like crap, some rubber can be used if you want a better seal) if you have no intentions on using it :) 

Fractal has a modu-vent system to cover case holes. But only comes with cases they make.

http://www.tweak.dk/review/Fractal_Design_Define_R3_kab...

I keep my systems on the desk, and an happy I do.

A liquid spill would get everything with this case...
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=291
!