r3v3ng3

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you guys can run over my rig and tell me what you think, im interested in playing newly released titles, such as sleeping dogs, guild wars 2, possibly battlefield 3, etc.

CPU: AMD phenom II X3 720
VGA: HIS hd 4870 iceq4+ turbo 1gb gddr5
M/B: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
RAM: 2x2GB ddr3
PSU: Fusion 550R

I've been considering possibly upgrading the PSU/RAM/VGA, but not sure if i really need to spend the money, what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for all responses and advice.

fastreaction

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
Hello. That depends on what resolution and what kind of settings (medium/high/ultra) you would like to play your games at. If you want to play on high or ultra settings on 1920x1080, your rig is on the weak side.
By the way it is called a GPU and not "VGA" :).
Lets assume you want to play on high/ultra settings on 1920x1080.
In my opinion there is really no need to "upgrade" since in the end you would end up replacing everything thus making a new pc. If you upgrade your GPU, you will have to upgrade your CPU since that CPU will bottleneck the higher end cards. When you upgrade your CPU that means you have to upgrade your motherboard. That PSU might also need to get replaced and that RAM maybe too.
With your current setup you will have to play on low/medium settings with a lot of settings turned off or down. You will have difficulties to run BF3.

In the end, like I said, it depends on the user. If you want to play on high settings, I would recommand building a new pc.

- Fastreaction