Sign in with
Your question

Installations, Libraries, Downloads on a drive other than OS drive.

Last response: in Windows 7
February 16, 2012 7:26:48 PM

Hello, everyone.

I'm getting everything set up on a brand new computer build.

I've got a 64GB SSD that holds the OS, and then a 1 TB HDD that I want to put everything else on.

In Windows Explorer, how can I change the Library function to apply to the HDD (E:) ?

When I hit Start, go to Computer, and then click Libraries, I want it to display what is being held in (E:) .

In addition, in terms of the SSD holding the OS, what else -must- go in that drive with it? What can I safely remove from it? My friend told me drivers had to be on the same drive as the OS, and I believe her, but is there anything else that has to be there, too?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 16, 2012 11:03:46 PM

Just right-click the "Libraries" folder, add a new library, call it something like "E Drive", and add the "E:\" folder to it.
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:02:51 AM

That's not exactly what I had in mind. When I click on "Library" on the left side of Windows Explorer, I want those to be E: folders in the director, instead of the boot drive's.

I'd like to know if that's possible.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 12:26:19 AM

Haha, well. Turns out that all the Library does is show an aggrevated view of folders you already have. That's neat, but I can't simply just change what the icons represent, it seems.

I went and created new copies of each Library director (Pictures, Documents, etc), and put E:/ folders in them. Except now their icons are all the same. Slightly annoying! How can I change them?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2012 12:26:55 AM

Right click on a library. Go into properties. From there you can change the Location. Do this for each library.
m
l
!