Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC dies when I load up a game

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2012 5:13:14 PM

Hello Everyone,
I have spent the past couple of days searching for a possible resolution to my problem and troubleshooting things but I can't seem to find a resolution. About a couple of days ago, I noticed that my computer would randomly shutoff once I loaded up a game and started playing it. This would happen for games like: NBA 2K12, StarCraft 2, and more recently, Borderlands 2. I wasn't too worried about it at first, because it would happen once or twice and then the games would run and I was happy again. However, now that games won't run at all, my concern with the issue has risen. My immediate thought was "Ah, my CPU is overheating." So, immediately opened up my case and sprayed out all of my components and tested my temps and the GPU at max only made it up to 65C, the max motherboard temp was 57C and the CPU never jumped over 53C. My next thought was, "I'll see if it's the graphics card." So, I took out my graphics card and replaced with my old one and it still shutdown at the exact same spot(after loading screens right as the game gets to the menu). I think I've narrowed it down to either my power supply or my motherboard, I'm just not sure how to really test them without replacing something completely(I don't have any spares suitable for testing). I'm running out of ideas and would hope that maybe someone would be willing to give suggestions on the next action I can take.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K(stock clock)
Motherboard: P67A-GD53(most recent BIOS)
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680(used GTX 470 for replacement test)
PSU: Corsair 950TX

Thanks

More about : dies load game

October 14, 2012 5:55:00 PM

Tested a bit more, was able to load Borderlands 2 when I put all settings at the lowest possible. Whenever I changed the resolution from 640x480 to 1920x1080, it immediately died again. Just some more information for anyone who may see this.
m
l

Best solution

October 14, 2012 6:29:28 PM

Most likely a powersupply failing. A good brand, but sometimes even they fail. If you live near some major electronics store such as FRYS or MICROCENTER, you may ask them to test your PSU for you. If it is a PSU failing, you may buy a replacement there.
Related resources
October 14, 2012 6:44:28 PM

Quote:
Most likely a powersupply failing. A good brand, but sometimes even they fail. If you live near some major electronics store such as FRYS or MICROCENTER, you may ask them to test your PSU for you. If it is a PSU failing, you may buy a replacement there.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I guess I just didn't want to accept it :ange:  Do you think it would be better for me to send it in to Corsair or to just bite the bullet and buy a new one? I don't necessarily have the money for it, but I think I may be able to manage it.

Thanks for the reply!
m
l
October 14, 2012 7:49:39 PM

JMidd said:
Quote:
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I guess I just didn't want to accept it :ange:  Do you think it would be better for me to send it in to Corsair or to just bite the bullet and buy a new one? I don't necessarily have the money for it, but I think I may be able to manage it.

Thanks for the reply!

Well, if you are willing to stay with not working PC for a while, RMA it with Corsair (if it is still under warranty). Consult Corsair how to do it. It's really your call. RMAing it is cheaper but may take a little while. If money is too tight, RMA it.
m
l
October 16, 2012 1:07:49 AM

I've been in contact with Corsair customer support and the person I am communicating with seems to think it isn't my power supply, as it gives all of the correct voltages on the rails. Can you think of anything I might possibly be overlooking or do you think that the voltages mean very little? I have typically been able to correctly troubleshoot and correct any quirks with my PC in the past, however this one is a head scratcher.
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:09:26 AM

it could be your HDD failing, i doubt that though if you have a spare pop it in and put a game or 2 on it and see what happens
other than that it could be your mobo the pci slot might be broken

honestly i have no clue this is very weird do you have another sound card you could try sounds kinda dumb but my sound card causes my games to lock up my pc but no shut down you could just disable it in bios and see if its fixed
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:15:26 AM

chairsgotoschool said:
it could be your HDD failing, i doubt that though if you have a spare pop it in and put a game or 2 on it and see what happens
other than that it could be your mobo the pci slot might be broken

honestly i have no clue this is very weird do you have another sound card you could try sounds kinda dumb but my sound card causes my games to lock up my pc but no shut down you could just disable it in bios and see if its fixed

I use 3 drives total, one SSD for Windows and two others for storage. I have a sound card but I may see if it will work with the onboard. I noticed that it only seems to happen for the demanding games, like Borderlands 2, consistently. For games that don't rely on the GPU that much it seems to be fine(NBA 2K12, SC2) though even those can cause a complete shutdown sometimes.
m
l
October 16, 2012 12:18:37 PM

Do you have some kind of Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) connected? By this, I mean do you have a battery pack backup power to protect your PC in the event of a surge?

Often these are limited to certain Wattages, and hence work when just running your basics (CPU, Mobo etc.) but as soon as your GPU kicks in (due to passive down-speeding when not in use) they can't support this.

Just a thought as I had several friends who have had problems like this, sorry if it doesn't help and good luck :D 
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:52:30 PM

Yeah, it's just a plain old surge protector that it is connected to. Luckily, I built a computer for free for a friend a mine a while back and he's going to let me use his power supply that way I can test whether it is that or not. Which I'm really hoping so, because I don't want to have to replace the motherboard.

Thanks all for the suggestions!
m
l
October 27, 2012 12:24:41 AM

Best answer selected by JMidd.
m
l
!