$1200 Max budget. Two options to choose from. First build. Help?

Oledad

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Buying everything next Friday. I left out the OS as that will be a separate purchase. Still debating on going with Windows 8 or sticking with 7. I also didn't include the monitors, mouse, and keyboard because I'm going to go with what I got now until I save more money. This is gunna be my first rig I've ever built (I'll have experienced help) and I'm upgrading from a 6 year old prebuilt DELL that is struggling to say the least. I'm really looking forward to this huge upgrade if you couldn't tell.

I mainly use my computer as a media machine with intensive amounts of surfing the internet. I am NOT A GAMER. I hope this doesn't make anyone not want to help. I need several of the HDD slots on the case because I'd like to have around 6-8TB as time progresses due to my massive storage of videos and music files. I eventually want to have two 27inch monitors via DVI and also hook my TV up via HDMI so I'm up for better suggestions on GPUs on either build. I also doubt I'll be overclocking my CPU but I wouldn't mind having the capability. I had no idea which case to use so I picked a popular one on Newegg. I'd definitely appreciate suggestions on that aspect as I want nice cable management, easy access, and most of all USB 3.0 on the front as I will likely be transferring files very often.

I would list the parts out one by one but as it is two separate builds I think it would be easier to just link them so it's more aesthetically pleasing to the entire forum.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gns6

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kh7D

I know the prices vary a little over and under my budget but I'm pretty good at finding the best deals and I'm sure I could keep my prices under those listed.

All input is welcomed.

Solution
I'd go with the Intel build over the AMD but the Antec 900 is very old and very outdated for a case (zero cable management features and the HD cages are horrendous to work with), and even if you're not gaming that GT640 is not a good video card. Go with the Radeon 7750 instead. If you're not gaming you don't need the unlocked CPU - you could go with the i5-3470 and H77 and then that would cut the price about $70.

For case choices I'd recommend the Corsair 300R, NZXT Phantom 410, or the Cooler Master HAF XM over the Antec 900.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)...

g-unit1111

Titan
I'd go with the Intel build over the AMD but the Antec 900 is very old and very outdated for a case (zero cable management features and the HD cages are horrendous to work with), and even if you're not gaming that GT640 is not a good video card. Go with the Radeon 7750 instead. If you're not gaming you don't need the unlocked CPU - you could go with the i5-3470 and H77 and then that would cut the price about $70.

For case choices I'd recommend the Corsair 300R, NZXT Phantom 410, or the Cooler Master HAF XM over the Antec 900.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($126.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($288.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1231.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I included a stronger GPU, cut down on the CPU, changed the case to a much more modern one, and cut down on the PSU since even for that kind of storage you don't really need a 750W. But all the components here are very modern and excellent for what they do.

Solution
id get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lgYu

better ram. you can easily overclock this stuff to 1866mhz cl9. has been known to hit 2133 and 2400 on some dimms at less than 1.5v

cheaper GPU

bigger hard drive

cheaper case, yet good build quality

id rather have a much higher quality panel than pay for slightly blurrier images since the larger the screen size, the less pixel density

cheaper power supply that will handle the rig no problem. dont know why G unit put a 620w unit in a rig that wont draw more than 250w really