Nokia 6820

Last response: in Brands
Share
October 31, 2004 7:11:51 PM

Im thinking of buying a 6820 and 1 ) wondered what you lot had top say about
them and 2) can I use a recording made by the phone as an alarm call,
message alert or ringtone ?

--
THANKS
RICK

More about : nokia 6820

October 31, 2004 8:33:36 PM

In article <b98hd.3296$up1.2671@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
ricksvill@DONTSPAMME.blueyonder.co.uk says...
> Im thinking of buying a 6820 and 1 ) wondered what you lot had top say about
> them and 2) can I use a recording made by the phone as an alarm call,
> message alert or ringtone ?

Hi Rick-

I've got a 6820 (on AT&T GSM here in the States) and I like it quite a
bit. It is more solid than I thought it would be. My concern was the
flip-keyboard perhaps making it flimsy, but the engineering behind it
works well. The phone gets good signal most places, and I like the user
interface pretty well.

On the other hand, I've got some gripes that are probably user-education
related: the incoming call beep that I get when I'm already on the line
with someone else seems less noticeable than previous Nokias I've had.
I'm trying to figure out how to make it louder. There have been some
issues with using bluetooth with my Jabra Freespeak 250 (reconnecting to
the Jabra after a disconnect sometimes results in loss of the voice dial
function). And a few other issues that don't come to mind right now.
But overall, I like the phone and am glad I went with it.

Recordings made with the phone can be set as ringtones or alarm clock
rings; I just tried it for you and it works. I think you can also set
the message alert tone with a recording saved in the Gallery too. I
poked through the menu and it looks like there are a bunch of selections
for message alert including "Ringing tone" which takes you to a menu
with the standard ringtones and an option to open the gallery.

Marc
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:20:26 AM

>Im thinking of buying a 6820 and 1 ) wondered what you lot had top say about
>them and 2) can I use a recording made by the phone as an alarm call,
>message alert or ringtone ?

Although #1 above, is very poorly written, I can tell you that I don't know
about #2 because I use the phone to make and receive phone calls. My alarm
clock on the bed side stand works wonderfully for alarms.

--
John S.
November 1, 2004 12:43:30 PM

"MAG" <Somebody@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> In article <b98hd.3296$up1.2671@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> ricksvill@DONTSPAMME.blueyonder.co.uk says...
>> Im thinking of buying a 6820 and 1 ) wondered what you lot had top say
>> about
>> them and 2) can I use a recording made by the phone as an alarm call,
>> message alert or ringtone ?
>>

> Hi Rick-
>
> I've got a 6820 (on AT&T GSM here in the States) and I like it quite a
> bit. It is more solid than I thought it would be. My concern was the
> flip-keyboard perhaps making it flimsy, but the engineering behind it
> works well. The phone gets good signal most places, and I like the user
> interface pretty well.
>
> On the other hand, I've got some gripes that are probably user-education
> related: the incoming call beep that I get when I'm already on the line
> with someone else seems less noticeable than previous Nokias I've had.
> I'm trying to figure out how to make it louder. There have been some
> issues with using bluetooth with my Jabra Freespeak 250 (reconnecting to
> the Jabra after a disconnect sometimes results in loss of the voice dial
> function). And a few other issues that don't come to mind right now.
> But overall, I like the phone and am glad I went with it.
>
> Recordings made with the phone can be set as ringtones or alarm clock
> rings; I just tried it for you and it works. I think you can also set
> the message alert tone with a recording saved in the Gallery too. I
> poked through the menu and it looks like there are a bunch of selections
> for message alert including "Ringing tone" which takes you to a menu
> with the standard ringtones and an option to open the gallery.
>
> Marc

You have worried me somewhat by saying voice dialling is not to good...

I need voice dialling...

Thanks for your review though, its nice to hear it from a user and not a
sales person.

RICK
November 1, 2004 8:44:31 PM

In article <6znhd.13160$T34.7249@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
ricksvill@DONTSPAMME.blueyonder.co.uk says...
> > There have been some
> > issues with using bluetooth with my Jabra Freespeak 250 (reconnecting to
> > the Jabra after a disconnect sometimes results in loss of the voice dial
> > function).
>
> You have worried me somewhat by saying voice dialling is not to good...
>
> I need voice dialling...
>
> Thanks for your review though, its nice to hear it from a user and not a
> sales person.
>
> RICK

Hi again Rick- let me clarify what I wrote.

If I pair up the BT250 with the 6820 using "normal" mode, and then let
it connect, I found that I got the little headset icon on the phone, and
the BT250 worked great as a headset. But, just pressing the BT250's
phone button didn't initiate voice dialing as it was supposed to.

I called Jabra and they told me that for the 6820 I should re-pair it as
an enhanced mode device. So, I re-paired it in enhanced mode, and voila
a new icon meaning enhanced headset (looks like a little car) showed up.
Voice dialing via the phone botton on the BT250 headset worked great.
One touch, get the little beep, speak the name, and away we go!

However, disconnecting the headset (by recharging the headset, or
turning off bluetooth on the phone, or turning off the phone, or...)
then re-connecting would result in one of these scenarios, not quite
predictably:

A. Proper auto-reconnection with the right icon and functionality.
B. Proper auto-reconnection with the wrong icon (back to the headset
icon) but proper voice dialing functionality.
C. Wrong auto-reconnection with the wrong icon (headset) and no voice
dail function.

Eventually I found that if I manually reconnect (go into the bluetooth
menu, scroll down to 'paired devices,' select the BT250, Options,
Connect, it connects properly but just has the wrong icon. Voice dialing
works, though.

One caveat in general is that the nature of the bluetooth connection is
such that when it's not active, it sort of goes into standby, so the
first second or so of sound back and forth is deleted or garbled. No big
deal usually, but I've found that sometimes hitting the phone button on
the headset doesn't initiate voice dialing; it takes two presses,
apparently due to this "timeout" issue.

So, I'm not 100% pleased with the handshake between the devices on this
one point. AT&T was useless, Nokia said they only support Nokia devices
(they blamed the problem on the headset, when it is clearly a phone
problem), and Jabra had nothing useful to say. I should call them again.
The Jabra support folks are pretty responsive.

On the other hand, sound quality is top notch, the headset is VERY
comfortable, and the batter lasts a long time.

I'm hoping for a phone software update at some point to clear up this
issue.

Marc
November 2, 2004 2:05:48 AM

> [...]
> such that when it's not active, it sort of goes into standby, so the
> first second or so of sound back and forth is deleted or garbled. No big
> deal usually, but I've found that sometimes hitting the phone button on
> the headset doesn't initiate voice dialing; it takes two presses,
> apparently due to this "timeout" issue.
>
> So, I'm not 100% pleased with the handshake between the devices on this
> one point. AT&T was useless, Nokia said they only support Nokia devices
> (they blamed the problem on the headset, when it is clearly a phone
> problem), and Jabra had nothing useful to say. I should call them again.
> The Jabra support folks are pretty responsive.
>
> On the other hand, sound quality is top notch, the headset is VERY
> comfortable, and the batter lasts a long time.
>
> I'm hoping for a phone software update at some point to clear up this

Thanks for clarifying that Marc, im now allot happier about getting a
handset.

RICK
November 2, 2004 1:28:43 PM

<<<SNIP>>>

I have just bought one... OMG its so nice to be back with a Nokia after my
T610 ( which i'm going to use for work )

It has softwarte VER. 4.25 installed on 27-05-04 so its only been in a few
months.

I've had a littel play but i have to go to work soon so it will have to wait
till I get home at 8pm.

Thanks for your honesty in helping me.
RICK
November 2, 2004 10:28:48 PM

In article <vjJhd.4753$up1.417@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
ricksvill@DONTSPAMME.blueyonder.co.uk says...
> <<<SNIP>>>
>
> I have just bought one... OMG its so nice to be back with a Nokia after my
> T610 ( which i'm going to use for work )
>
> It has softwarte VER. 4.25 installed on 27-05-04 so its only been in a few
> months.
>
> I've had a littel play but i have to go to work soon so it will have to wait
> till I get home at 8pm.
>
> Thanks for your honesty in helping me.
> RICK

Hi Rick-

Glad you like it! It's a sweet little phone.

One thing I'm still looking for is the tone length setting for voicemail
and so forth. I'm used to being able to set how long each "virtual
keypress" takes. On the 6820 the default length is slow. If you find a
way to speed it up, let me know.

Marc

PS, to those others following this thread: I use the alarm clock
frequently as a travel alarm. Works like a charm :-)
November 2, 2004 11:26:31 PM

1) Get a life mate, If you just want to slag people off go some where else.

2) Some of us dont see the point in carrying an alarm clock around with us
everywhere when we have one in our pockets.

RICK
Sorry Mr Perfect...
"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >Im thinking of buying a 6820 and 1 ) wondered what you lot had top say
> >about
>>them and 2) can I use a recording made by the phone as an alarm call,
>>message alert or ringtone ?
>
> Although #1 above, is very poorly written, I can tell you that I don't
> know
> about #2 because I use the phone to make and receive phone calls. My alarm
> clock on the bed side stand works wonderfully for alarms.
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 3:05:29 AM

>1) Get a life mate, If you just want to slag people off go some where else.

What in the world are you talking about. The poorly written and mostly
misspelled first part of the OP's message????

I have a life mate!

>2) Some of us dont see the point in carrying an alarm clock around with us
>everywhere when we have one in our pockets.

My point exactly. Once up, I don't need an alarm clock. My mind is still sharp
enough that I can keep appointments without further "alarms".

--
John S.
November 3, 2004 12:13:32 PM

> >1) Get a life mate, If you just want to slag people off go some where
> >else.
>>

> What in the world are you talking about. The poorly written and mostly
> misspelled first part of the OP's message????
>
> I have a life mate!

On that count I appoligise

>>2) Some of us dont see the point in carrying an alarm clock around with us
>>everywhere when we have one in our pockets.
>>

> My point exactly. Once up, I don't need an alarm clock. My mind is still
> sharp
> enough that I can keep appointments without further "alarms".

Some of us are not that lucky and have busy days so reminders are a god
sent.

RICK

!