tmccrack

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hello,

I am building a new HTPC that will also be a gaming system. Will be on a 1080p plasma, power is not an issue, and while budget is not a major issue I was looking to save a bit of money (currently system is pricing out ~$1,600 w/670). I have done some research and believe I understand the compromises I would be making with the 480 (more power consumption, runs hotter, louder, & less performance). 48 hour sale on the 480 so appreciate the prompt response!

My Question: Would you go with the 480 @ $200 OR 670 @ $400 ?

symbolsix

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
My thoughts:

1) Any graphics card for a gaming PC will serve in an HTPC, after acknowledging power & noise concerns (as you have).

2) Therefore, consider what sort of gaming performance you will require from this machine, and evaluate your card choice as a gamer first. Things I'd consider in particular:
---a) Do I want to impress friends/family with how awesome my games look? (I'm serious. For real, I have roommates who are perfectly happy to watch me play Deus Ex, Mass Effect, etc. instead of watching TV.)
---b) What titles do I play now? What will I be playing in the next ~12 months?
---c) Will I be able to upgrade this card in the next 12, 18, or 24 months?
---d) How much time will I spend gaming on this machine, and how many dollars per hour am I willing to spend on increased performance?

For my money, I'd go for the GTX 670, but I'm picky about frame rates and my lifestyle is such that this system would do more duty as a gaming rig in the living room than an HTPC playing media. YMMV.

rhyme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
if the matter was below 1080p so i should go with 660ti. bcz i have one and it runs very good but in some games i didn't get quite respectable fps.. so i think it will be better to hang out with 670. (if budget is not your prob.)