Sanity Check and Opinions on Gaming Rig

xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Dear Gaming Gurus and Computer Connoisseurs,

With help from TheBigTroll(all him really), we generated this PC. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/keuZ ($1450)

I am hoping to see a few more options on computers and other community experts to weigh in. As I posted below I very loose budget and wouldn't be opposed to more expensive builds that are justified.

Approximate Purchase Date: Ordering within the Week unless there is price drops in the very near future.

Budget Range: A bit different, I don't have a specific budget. I'm looking for the best value for a gaming computer. I don't want or need to spend money on the 'new hotness' for dimensioning returns of processing power.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming pure and simple

Are you buying a monitor: Not at first. I might add one of those IPS monitors in the near future.

Parts to Upgrade: Full build save Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com, amazon.com, the cheapest.

Parts Preferences: Any

Overclocking: Maybe at the end to prolong its gaming life

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, again in the future to prolong life

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200, which a potential for IPS type monitors in the future.

Additional Comments: Would like some USB 3.0 ports (Front plug) for ease of use and I like Big cases for ease of use.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Gaming. Some GOIs (games of Interest) Far Cry 3, Star Citizen, Planet Side 2.

Thanks for the help.

-Xero

Solution

Looks good to me! I say go for it!

g-unit1111

Titan
Troll picks some good parts but I definitely disagree on that SSD choice - I find Sandforce 2.0 drives incredibly frustrating to work with (no matter how reliable the manufacturer), get a Marvell drive instead like the Vertex 4, Samsung 830/840, or the Crucial M4. Also pay a bit more money and get the Noctua U9B - better heat pipe concentration, smaller profile, and includes two fans.

And I think I'd go with the Gigabyte UD4 TH instead of the Asus for Thunderbolt support.

g-unit1111

Titan

I had an Intel 320 SSD that was running Sandforce and I got blue screens left and right - and that was even with the firmware update. I switched to a Samsung 830, been problem free ever since.

xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Awesome thanks for the info. I was looking over a few cases and saw this one.

Corsair Carbide Series Black 400R Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011011-WW)

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Computer-CC-9011011-WW/dp/B0055Q7BR4/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I noticed it had USB on the front which I was looking for. Does my motherboard have connection to ensure that those will be usable?

EDIT: I also really like samsung products so I think I will put the Samsung MZ-7PC128B/WW 128 Gig SSD in. Any issues with that AD HOC?

-Xero

Danger Kid

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

could not agree with this post more.

i cannot urge you to not go with a sandforce ssd enough! seriously one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.

i also would opt for the gigabyte board. thunderbolt is here and is only going to become more prominent as time goes on.

unless you are planning on upgrading to a higher resolution monitor down the road, or are going to add a second monitor im not really sure you need a gtx670. personally i would opt for a 660ti and reinvest the 100 bucks other places in the build, especially considering how much headroom the fully overclockable 660ti's out there have, but everyone may not agree

also i cannot comment on the 400r in particular, but ive built two rigs for friends in the 600t and my roomates current rig is in a c70. and i have nothing but wonderful things to say about corsair cases.

g-unit1111

Titan
unless you are planning on upgrading to a higher resolution monitor down the road, or are going to add a second monitor im not really sure you need a gtx670. personally i would opt for a 660ti and reinvest the 100 bucks other places in the build, especially considering how much headroom the fully overclockable 660ti's out there have, but everyone may not agree

For the same price the Radeon 7950 is better than the 660TI but they're about neck and neck in some areas.

i cannot urge you to not go with a sandforce ssd enough! seriously one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.

Yeah I've noticed a disturbing trend around here with the regulars recommending some incredibly frustrating hardware to work with, Sandforce drives being one of them. I really can't stress enough how much I hate Sandforce. :lol:

xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Two things: I thought I saw somewhere about MSI being in the spotlight for something like undervolting(?), should I be wary about getting their GFX card? Also the other thing. When I was searching for those MB that you suggested I couldnt find one that was UD4 TH only UP TH. Could you link me to the one you were speaking about?

Thanks,

-Xero

g-unit1111

Titan

MSI video cards are definitely better than their motherboards. I was looking at getting the Twin FROZR version of the 660TI but I may go with the EVGA version instead. Or I might Crossfire my 7870.

Then the motherboard this is the one I was referring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128558

xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I appreicate all the advise from everyone on this build. My last questions before final review. Would anyone actually recommend putting more money into the GFX card right now?

Thanks

-Xero

g-unit1111

Titan

Gaming? Definitely. Anything else - you'll benefit but its not really worth it.

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

I dont think Intel 320 used sandforce controllers ever. they used its own MG3 Controller. It was Intel's 330 series that used sandforce 2281 controllers.

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Why do you hate sandforce, when you havnt even used one?

g-unit1111

Titan

I had an Intel 320 on my last build and it was horrendous - it used Sandforce 2.0 and even after the firmware update (from 2009 :ange: ) it still gave me blue screens left and right. I swapped it for a Samsung 830 and have been problem free ever since.

Even the Newegg specs list it as Sandforce, and this is the same drive I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167095

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

The link suggested by you is for Intel 520 and not 320 - hope you know the difference. Intel 320 were launced in 2011 not 2009. What junk are you talking about? Have you seriously used any SSD in your life? Users like these should be seriously thrown out of the forum