Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2012 2:32:36 PM

Hello,

Iam planing to buy Firepro Card
Because my work is 3D modeling

my question To people ho use Firepro Cards
are you happey with firepro card?
do you advice me to buy these cards?

Some people advise me to buy GTX gaming gard!

More about : firepro cards

a c 218 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:48:02 PM

Yes, I use FirePro GPUs and I am very happy with their performance. For you, it depends on what applications and uses you have for the FirePro to determine if they are right for you.

Please clarify.
m
l
a c 115 U Graphics card
August 21, 2012 2:49:02 PM

Don't use gaming cards for professional purposes. Most CAD applications have specific optimizations which are only available in the professional driver suite. Some CAD programs will bitch and whine if you do not use a professional graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 3:54:39 PM

I have used Firepro and prefer Quadro. AMD/ATI drivers are always buggy. BTW, Pinhedd is correct. Gaming cards don't mix with 3D modeling if for no other reason than your software tech support personnel will use the card as an excuse to not help you.
m
l

Best solution

August 21, 2012 4:16:09 PM

As COLGeek said, it's important to know exactly what programs you will be using before selecting a particular card. There are certain issues that arise that are program dependent. Here are a couple of examples. When using game cards with programs that rely on OpenGL the AMD cards will perform much better than nVidia cards. (It appears that nVidia has crippled the OpenGL performance to push people towards the Quadros.) When using Pro cards, certain programs have far superior anti-aliasing using the Quadro versus the FirePros while other programs have no such issues.

One thing to keep in mind concerning the Pro versus the game cards is their differing purposes. While game cards are designed mainly to provide a smooth succession of images, Pro cards have a double purpose. They not only have to render the final images, they also need to provide smooth redraws when manipulating the data in the viewports. While modern game cards actually perform fairly well when manipulating the data set, they will start to have trouble on large datasets, especially when using display modes that show detailed textures. When it comes to rendering the final image, game cards will do okay, but they tend to have issues with "roping" on long narrow highly reflective surfaces like chrome.

A lot depends on your intent. If 3D is a hobby, then it just isn't so critical, but if you're making money and trying to impress a client, it pays to get the best Pro card that you can afford and that will work best with your software. Also, what ever software you are using, it is a good idea to ask these questions in the particular software users forums to get the best advice.
August 28, 2012 9:04:38 PM

Hi MAX I read your post alot!

Most my work in OpenGL Programs "I think" ..

I use Blender, Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, Unity

I play some time Flash Games..

I know that nVidia Game cards are Poor in OpenGL because nVidia want people Like me to go with the Expensive Quadro cards :( 

This is why I want FirePro because its Cheaper and Stronger in OpenGL "I think"!

I want to Buy Firepro V4900 1GB
http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
August 28, 2012 11:33:08 PM

sonah said:
Hi MAX I read your post alot!

Most my work in OpenGL Programs "I think" ..

I use Blender, Maya, After Effects, Photoshop, Unity

I play some time Flash Games..

I know that nVidia Game cards are Poor in OpenGL because nVidia want people Like me to go with the Expensive Quadro cards :( 

This is why I want FirePro because its Cheaper and Stronger in OpenGL "I think"!

I want to Buy Firepro V4900 1GB
http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/ati...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Solid choice. Good luck!
m
l
August 29, 2012 10:51:55 AM

Best answer selected by sonah.
m
l
April 15, 2014 7:33:59 PM

I recently bought an AMD FireproV4900 graphics card, and im running it on windows 7 64 bit with sufficient RAM and processor but everytime i open a game the just screen plays back continuous black waves and cant seem to hold an image still. I tried downloading drviers and upgraded from a DVI connection to display port-HDMI but I can't figure out what i am doing wrong. Btw im using only one monitor and its an ASUS VS247. anyone have any ideas?
m
l
!