Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

So many EVGA GTX 680 versions...which one to get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 21, 2012 2:39:32 PM

So, I'm not quite sure why, but EVGA decided to release about 87 bazillion versions of the GTX 680, possibly a foreshadowing on their part regarding the fact that Borderlands 2 is now included with the purchase of a GTX 680.

But anyway, with so many versions available, which one is the right one for me?

Here's a link with basically all that are available where I'm planning to purchase (Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?bbn=172282&keywords=E...

Excuse the first six, as they are all 560/570/670's.

Anyway, there is the:

GTX 680 (Base) - $499.99
GTX 680 (SC/Signature) - $499.99
GTX 680 (SC) - $499.99
GTX 680 (SC+Backplate) - $514.98
GTX 680 (SC/Signature 2 + Dual Fan) - $519.99
GTX 680 (SC/Signature+) - $529.99
GTX 680 (FTW) - $539.99
GTX 680 (Base/4096MB) - $560.55
GTX 680 (Base+/4096MB) - $579.99
GTX 680 (FTW/4096MB) - $629.99

There are more out there, but those are the only ones currently in stock on Amazon.

I can kind of eliminate the 4GB cards, as I only play on 1920x1080, and though someday I may get a three monitor setup, it's not really in the foreseeable future.

That still leaves quite a few models to choose from, however.

Are the upgrades worth the extra money, or would I be better off getting either the Base card, or SC card, at $499.99?

I was actually most interested in those two, but also leaning towards the SC card that comes with a backplate for $514.98. Is it worth an extra $15 to get a backplate, or is a backplate really not necessary.

Also. The $499.99 SC, and $499.99 SC Signature...which is the better choice between those? I see the SC Signature has slightly higher factory overclocks than the regular SC, but it also has worse reviews.

I'm really just not sure which would be the best choice for me, with all these models. And I'm not really sure which ones are gimmicks, and which ones would actually be an improvement, and be worth the extra money they cost.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Other PC Specs are:

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
16GB's of 1600MHz RAM
128GB Crucial M4 SSD (OS/Main Drive)
Various 320GB-1TB HDD's (Storage)
Core i7-3770k (OC'd @ 4.4GHz)
GTX 275 896MB (Current Card/Looking to Upgrade)
Blu-Ray Drive/DVD Drive
750-Watt Corsair PSU

Again, any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

More about : evga gtx 680 versions

a b Î Nvidia
August 21, 2012 2:55:34 PM

The GTX680 is such a good card, particularly at 1920 x 1080 that you really won't get much benefit form the more expensive versions.
I would pick the SC version @$499. It's turbo is about as high as any.

2gb is fine, and in a case, the dual slot cooler will be just as effective as the dual fan versions.
I see no value in the backplate either.
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 3:09:47 PM

Have you looked into the GTX 670? At $100 less it preforms very similar to a GTX 680, we're talking like 5% or so difference. At 1920x1080 I would even wonder if you would notice a difference at all.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 21, 2012 6:40:26 PM

proxy711 said:
Have you looked into the GTX 670? At $100 less it preforms very similar to a GTX 680, we're talking like 5% or so difference. At 1920x1080 I would even wonder if you would notice a difference at all.


In a similar vein, the factory overclocked EVGA GTX660ti-SC performs much like a GTX670.
Here is a good review:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-660-ti-s...

I suppose it comes down to how important $100 or $ 200 is to the individual.
If $500 is an ok price then buy the GTX680. Otherwise you will always be wondering if you should have.
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 10:14:46 PM

geofelt said:
The GTX680 is such a good card, particularly at 1920 x 1080 that you really won't get much benefit form the more expensive versions.
I would pick the SC version @$499. It's turbo is about as high as any.

2gb is fine, and in a case, the dual slot cooler will be just as effective as the dual fan versions.
I see no value in the backplate either.


Would you recommend the SC @ $499.99, or should I go with the SC Signature @ $499.99. The SC Signature is the same price but has slightly higher factory overclocks.

proxy711 said:
Have you looked into the GTX 670? At $100 less it preforms very similar to a GTX 680, we're talking like 5% or so difference. At 1920x1080 I would even wonder if you would notice a difference at all.


I've looked into the 660 Ti, 670 FTW, 680, and 690. It's been very hard to narrow it down, but I finally decided I don't need a 690, and I'm not crazy about the lesser memory bandwidth on the 660 Ti. So it really is between the 670 FTW, and 680 for me. The only problem is Amazon is currently OOS of the 670 FTW, and the next lowest price EVGA model of the 670 they currently have, is the 4GB SuperClocked at $460, which at only $40 less, it seems like I might as well make the jump to a 680. They do have other brands of the 670 (Gigabyte for instance), but I'm kind of an EVGA fanboy.

geofelt said:
In a similar vein, the factory overclocked EVGA GTX660ti-SC performs much like a GTX670.
Here is a good review:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-geforce-gtx-660-ti-s...

I suppose it comes down to how important $100 or $ 200 is to the individual.
If $500 is an ok price then buy the GTX680. Otherwise you will always be wondering if you should have.


Well I have $500 to spend on a video card, so I can either get a 680, or of course get a 660 Ti/670, and save the extra money for something more important, but it really comes down to exactly what you said. If I don't get a 680, will I just always be wondering, "what if?". Especially if the GTX 670 just barely falls short of what I'm hoping to get out of my next GPU.

In any case, do you have a suggestion out of one of the 680's?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 21, 2012 11:10:28 PM

Again, I would pick the $499 SC. Minor differences in overclocks will be undetectable.
Share
August 23, 2012 2:52:27 AM

geofelt said:
Again, I would pick the $499 SC. Minor differences in overclocks will be undetectable.


Amazon changed the price of the GTX 680 SC w/ Backplate to $510, so for only a $10 difference I went ahead and went with the backplate version. Identical to the one you suggested, but with a backplate.

Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 2:54:42 AM

Best answer selected by ferrari91169.
m
0
l
!