Sign in with
Your question

New PC configuration

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2012 6:54:26 PM

Hello everyone!

Currently I am planning to buy new PC, that will be used for programming (lots of kernel compilation, virtualization, maybe some parallel computations, etc.), buy I would also like to play some new games on it.
I could live without OC :) 
Here's some configuration that I've came up with, I would like to hear opinions and suggestions from you.

Mainboard: Asus P8Z77
Processor: Intel i5 3570K or i5 3570
RAM: Kingston HyperX Grey Series 2x4GB.
HD: WD Black 1TB
Power: XFX Core 550W
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions! :) 

More about : configuration

October 14, 2012 7:03:52 PM

without looking deeper into the tech specs of each of those parts, its safe to say that it looks like a pretty good build. although i will say to buy an SSD, the performance increase i had when i brought my ssd was unbelievable.
October 14, 2012 7:05:54 PM

hi mate
that pretty balanced and should provide the performance you want.... if your not going to overclock then the non"K" core i5 would be the obvious choice,however theres very little difference in price between the 2 models so even without overclocking the 3570k would be the smart choice
with programming and parallel computations in mind a ssd running alongside the 1tb wd sata HDD would be good... and with ssd prices dropping you can snap up a 128gb ( for use as the windows boot drive ) for under £100 ...
the GTX660ti is a good choice with cuda support and the 550w XFX core psu is more than capable of powering this card and the rest of your components
finally the hyper x memory is reliable and wont let you down... and 8gb is more than enough for windows 7 64bit and the up and coming windows 8 ( urghh )
overall a excellent choice of components that will work well together
Related resources
October 14, 2012 7:14:48 PM

if you are not going to overclock I would suggest saving $20 and getting the i5-3550, and if you are or might later down the road(its very easy) then get the i5-3570K
Definitely get an ssd, it will make a big difference in programming.
Everything else looks good
October 14, 2012 8:53:31 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by MouseMonkey
October 14, 2012 9:10:02 PM

Looks good, but as to watters, a SSD isn't really needed, as though I wouldn't say it is a waste of money, just that it seems rather stupid to buy something like that when you could upgrade a part like the CPU or GPU.
!