Sign in with
Your question

Finalizing build

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2012 9:31:51 PM

Hello everyone,

I never built a computer before and I'm planning on building a gaming rig. This will be a learning experience for me. I'm not going to mess with overclocking for now, maybe down the road I might. I need some advice about the computer parts that I am considering to buy. I did a little bit of research on the parts already but I'm having a hard time deciding on some of the parts I'm going to choose. Mainly because I'm trying to not go overboard
on my budget and to keep it as cheap as possible so that I can buy a monitor, but I'm willing to pay a little bit
more if its worth the upgrade and if it is not that too expensive. I'm might overclock later down the road.

I will be playing FPS (bf3, crysis, borderlands 2), Action adventure, STRATEGY (company of heroes and the like)

and mmo (D3, GW2)

Budget Range: trying to keep more or less $2100 (including the monitor)

System Usage: mainly GAMING, surfing the internet, doing homework, watching movies

PLANNED COMPONENTS OF MY BUILD:

CASE: CM storm stryker

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K / i5-3570k

I'm leaning towards i7-3770k

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Intel Z77

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 or asus p8z77-v pro

These are my choices for my motherboard. They are the same price so it even made it harde for me which one to choose. Please help me decide and any suggestions will help.

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CPU COOLER: corsair H100

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III

HHD: Western Digital caviar black 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB

PSU: SeaSonic X750 gold 750W

MONITOR: need help on this one. I want 120hz and 24" display.

Please let me know if I'm looking at the the right parts or if I need to change something. Feedbacks are well appreciated.

More about : finalizing build

October 14, 2012 9:43:09 PM

From the looks of it, you will not be video editing or rendering or anything like that, so you should go with the i5-3570k. For the motherboard, go with the LGA, can't go wrong with that, and also, 16 gb is way to much, the most you will probably use under full load will be around 6gb. Your HDD and PSU are fine, seagate is a trusty brand so it won't blow out, and if I were you, I would just go with 8gb. Cpu cooler is also great, and sorry, I can't recommend you with any Monitors, as I have no experience with them. Hope this helps!
m
l
October 14, 2012 9:53:31 PM

Ichrisk,

thanks a lot about the feedback. ok I'm going to go with i5-3570k. im going to scale down my memory to 8GB. One more thing just a clarification about the motherboard. You said go with LGA, doesn't it all of them LGA? sorry im not too familiar with cmputer parts yet.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2012 9:54:43 PM

The i7 is a waste for gaming.

You don't need 16GB of ram and will likely never go over 8.

I'd put the money toward a 256GB Samsung 830 instead of the Kingston.

Air coolers do better, and are cheaper, than closed loop liquid.coolers like the H100.

The PSU is good but way more power than you need.

I don't see the point of.a 120 Hz monitor since there's no way a 670 can push 120FPS in BF3 , crisis, etc at 1080p
m
l
October 14, 2012 10:30:24 PM

I keep hearing that air coolers are better than the closed loop h100 and the like. If ever Im going to go with an air cooling system which one do you recommend???
m
l
!