Should i upgrade my video card?

Peacefulanimator

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I'm thinking about upgrading my video card from a gtx 550ti to either a 560ti or 570.
Some of my friends say i dont need an upgrade but i want to hear your opinion on the subject.

Specs:
CPU: I3 2120 3.3ghz
Mobo: p67a-c43 (b3)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8gb
PSU: Antec 620w continuous
-------------------------------------------------

I'm using this system as a gaming system and love to play the most demanding games, so what card should i get for an upgrade? Is my CPU powerful enough for the upgrade?

Budget is $300

EDIT: Oh and i play at 1600 x 900 resolution. (highest i can go which im happy with)

Peacefulanimator

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
The card runs like a champ, staying cool when underload like playing battlefield 3 on high no AA. Staying at between 40c-50c.

But when playing battlefield 3 MP, i crash randomly when playing on high settings and get weird lag spikes that appear out of nowhere, i did some research and some people say its because its factory overclocked thats making it crash. I will test it when i get home from my vacation trip.

However the game runs fine on low with no crashes or hiccups.

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

As long as you're happy with the performance of what you currently have, as suggested, don't fix what's not broken.
There are and will be better options later on with the money you save.

Enjoy!

Nice to see Reason prevail here. If the card meets your needs, you're good. If further tests suggest the card is failing, you might take a step up then.
Otherwise, if you're looking for a general improvement (which will also reduce level-load time), consider a nice-sized SSD.

abegnale

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

+1; this is a good suggestion. If you're just looking for something to drop your cash into, this suggestion would make notable improvements.

fastreaction

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
Yeah I don't see how some members recommend the best out of the best. Sometimes it is cool to do an upgrade but do you really need it? You can see it this way, if you save up money now and when the need really comes you will see a significant increase in performance :). Like I said, upgrade if something is 'broken' or not getting to the settings you want but theres no need to if it works now :)

- Fastreaction

Peacefulanimator

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
An SSD is something i dont have, i have heard they bring some great performance to the system but i'm not sure what i should be looking for in an SSD. Any suggestions?

EDIT: forgot to mention that i must thank all fo you, i see all your points that it just not necessary to upgrade when everything is working just fine. I'll save up for when i really need an upgrade ^^.