GPU Temperature Software Issue

Daerio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
My video card is a recently purchased Geforce GTX 560 Ti. I recently had a separate issue and bought a new hard drive and reinstalled everything. Before this, my card/software/drivers were working perfectly, getting up to around 70C maximum, using EVGA Precision as a temp monitor/fan control. (an older version which I cannot locate again)

Since reinstalling, I've started having temperature issues with my GPU. After uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers repeatedly, and trying the 'new' version of EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner, my issue is that the fans will run for about 10 seconds, stop for 10 seconds, and start over repeatedly, causing my GPU to severely overheat. I know it is NOT a hardware issue, I have opened up the fan casing and cleaned out my card thoroughly. I have just uninstalled MSI Afterburner (my most recent experiment) and reinstalled the latest drivers once again, and now I can see plainly that both fans are running all the time now. My issue seems to be once I install a third party program to monitor GPU Temp/fan speed, some sort of software conflict is causing the fans to malfunction - Despite the fact that I've set the fans to run at 100% all the time, etc. (as an experiment while watching the fans fail)

I guess I'm looking for some way to monitor my GPU temp without that conflict that is causing my fans to malfunction, or some sort of answer on how to fix the problem using MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision. I could send the card back RMA, but I'm 90% sure the problem is somewhere on my end, and this won't fix my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Daerio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Again, as an experiment, I reinstalled a slightly older version of EVGA Precision X (3.03) and after a couple minutes the same issue came up again - fans turning off and on. After uninstalling it again, they're back to normal.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas?