GTX 670 using flat screen tv

Inductor

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Hello

I am about to have to decide which monitor I will be getting for a new pc I am putting together. The graphics card I have chosen is either a GALAXY GTX 670 with 2GB, or a EVGA GTX 670 with 4GB (not sure I need all dat!)

Instead of spending $254 on amazong buying a 27' ASUS monitor, could I not buy a 30+ inch flat screen lcd tv running at the same maximum resolution of
1920 x 1080/ 1080p and pc inputs ready etc....

I am wondering if either of these cards will have any trouble running say, this monitor http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+32%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LCD+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+HDTV/4550185.p?id=1218483794718&skuId=4550185

Also I am wondering whether it won't look as good as the ASUS, considering the ASUS was made for desktops specifically.

Thank you all for the help! :)

Solution
TVs and monitors are simply not the same things. I tried using a 1080p as a second monitor once upon a time, and just one little annoying difference is that when a TV goes into power save mode, it shuts off, you have to turn it back on to use it. Monitors can be turned back on via resumed activity on the computer.

Also, if you ever compare a monitor and TV of similar size side by side, you'll notice a difference when it comes to displaying static images on the monitor. A TV as a monitor would work for a dedicated HTPC running something like XBMC with a UI specifically designed for that kind of thing, but it's not a suitable replacement for a monitor.

cl-scott

Honorable
TVs and monitors are simply not the same things. I tried using a 1080p as a second monitor once upon a time, and just one little annoying difference is that when a TV goes into power save mode, it shuts off, you have to turn it back on to use it. Monitors can be turned back on via resumed activity on the computer.

Also, if you ever compare a monitor and TV of similar size side by side, you'll notice a difference when it comes to displaying static images on the monitor. A TV as a monitor would work for a dedicated HTPC running something like XBMC with a UI specifically designed for that kind of thing, but it's not a suitable replacement for a monitor.

Solution

Daerio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I'd hate to disagree with the other guy, but I use a 32' Vizio LCD TV as my only 'monitor', and I wouldn't ever go back to using a regular monitor. Once upon a time I was using 52' TV for the same thing - it makes games and watching movies, etc, much, much better. I don't know what exactly his issue was, but I do just fine with mine.

As far as "Will it work?" - the TV you have listed shows 2 HMDI ports, and assuming the card you pick also has an HMDI output, it will work. Maybe you don't want to risk the investment, or maybe you won't end up liking it, but I love using mine the same way.

Inductor

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012

Well I am just beginning to think about it after years and years of always buying regular desktop monitors.

Do you notice any delay whatsoever? Anything like the image being too much on your face or something like that? I would to hear anything you have to say since you actually use it in this way.

I am willing to invest in it, I only have to go over to my store to return it if I don't like it so that's no problem really.

Thank you so much for jumping in and helping me decide!