Maximus v formula build

phatsamurai

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Mobo : max v formula

chip : I7 3770k

Graphics: Asus radeon 7950 dc2 3gb

ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133

PSU :Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 750 80+gold (modular i think?)

case :Corsair Vengeance Series C70 black

hdd :Western Digital WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

optical : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

kicks and giggles: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839012

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874502011

Just looking for general advice for this build. It is going to be my first build personally, however I did get to watch my dad build a couple a few years back. This is kinda budget in the way I dont want to spend more than whats here but im open to going up or down. It is mostly going to be for gaming and day to day web browsing. Multi display is also prolly in its future.

notes: I realize I could go with an i5 and be perfectly fine but i do really like my rts games and they tend to be cpu intensive.

I know 4-8gb ram is all that is needed but id like to play around with ram disks with games in them for that epic loading screen time. And i can afford the 2133 so why not, may as well get something that wont go outa date for as long as possible.

the asus 7950, the 7980 is only like 80 bucks more for a standard version but with some oc from what iv read and watched on youtube the 7950 is still a great choice. And it follows the aesthetic iv got going on. Prolly drop another on in in a year or two to keep up with next gens.

I liked the mobo for the "entry level water cooling" get up it has. From what iv read and understand it seems to be a good overall mobo. As I said this will be my first build so id like some upward room to learn and such.

I may be buying this tonight so any input asap would be great.

obsama1

Distinguished
RTS games won't use hyperthreading. You won't get more than 5FPS using an i7 versus using an i5. Sure, you can get 2133MHz RAM, but since it's 1.6/1.65v, you'll void your warranty, and it will damage the CPU over time. And if you really want the speed, just get an SSD and put your programs on that. A 750w PSU is overkill. You just need 600w-650w. If you're going to do water cooling, either do custom, or get an air cooler. Premade water coolers are beat by air coolers. The Max V Formula is nice, but any reason why you want it?

Th way I see it, this build is nice, but you are getting highend parts that won't significantly impact your experience.

phatsamurai

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Thanks for the input. So should I just grab 8 gb of the same ram and maybe a cheaper ssd?(Or should I just get like 1600 or 1866?) And as far as the maximus I'v just heard great things about it. I didn't want to get a dedicated sound card and it satisfies that and still gives great sound. I do like that is has so many different features and id like the chance to play around with them all so i can for lack of a better term get past the reading and watching enthusiast phase to the experience. And the psu is so later i can put another graphics card in. I used the newegg psu calculator and it recomended 830 or so however i watched a vid with jj from asus using 2 of the same cards (obviously the test bench was all decked out with cpu and gpu oc's) and they only used a 750, so i assume for my use, even with a second gpu later, that should be fine.

obsama1

Distinguished
Yup, get 8GB of lowprofile 1600 RAM, and a 128GB SSD. Also, if you're playing at 1080p with a 7950, all games will run at 60FPS. A lot of people think that they can add one down the line. You can certainly do that, but by the time one 7950 is insufficient, getting a new 7950 will be hard. It's better to buy one 7950 now, and when it's insufficient, grab a new card that will beat a 7950 Crossfire.

phatsamurai

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
With the second 7950 i was thinking as soon as the next gen comes out, so maybe a year, or less. Would that be to long to wait? As far as i know you can mix different flavors of the same gen with amd right? Say a 7980? I know with the 6xx gtx's you cant. Oh, almost forgot. I was going to get a 660ti but i decided not to. Something with the bandwidth not being as good for multi dispays, the 660 having 192-bit and the 7950 having 384-bit, memory bandwidth i think? . And once again, thx for the advice, hope I didnt noob it up in here to much lol.

Also, if it cant play it all on max setting, its insufficient lol!!

phatsamurai

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Why one over the other? And is the difference enough to break from the black and red theme iv got going on?

You can get the Asus Top 7950 it's neck and neck i didn't know which one your looking at ;) The reason why one over another for me is non reference cards are better imo they come with high factory overclocks and run cooler and not as loud as reference cards.

phatsamurai

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I like the g skill sniper. The other guy had said that 1.6 volts of the 2133 was bad in the long run for the cpu. Is 1600 at 1.5 really that much better? Im sold on going to 1600 either way, price point saves me enough to pick up that ssd.

phatsamurai

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I think ill play is safe for now, if i feel squirrelie later though i could always try to oc it right.

xsilver

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

How is the Maximus V formula working for you? people keep telling me its not worth it, i really like its specs, i really dont care for its wifi capabilty.