Sign in with
Your question

Pcie x1 card in pci slot

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2012 10:59:43 PM

Hello,
Will USB 3.0 PCIe card work in a older computer with only regular PCI slots. Can a PCIe Card just be slipped into a PCT slot? Or is there any other way to use 3.0 USB in somewhat older computers (as in Dell Dimenion 8250) ka3ebe@comcast.net

More about : pcie card pci slot

October 14, 2012 11:06:53 PM

No, you cannot and there is not.
Related resources
October 15, 2012 1:22:44 AM

While using that particular card will allow you to connect a PCI-Ex1 card and install it into a PCI slot, you need to remember that the PCI slot will limit any card you install to PCI speeds (133MB/s). For reference, a USB 3.0 card would normally run at up to 5Gb/s (625MB/s).

-Wolf sends
October 15, 2012 9:04:47 AM

Wolfshadw said:
While using that particular card will allow you to connect a PCI-Ex1 card and install it into a PCI slot, you need to remember that the PCI slot will limit any card you install to PCI speeds (133MB/s). For reference, a USB 3.0 card would normally run at up to 5Gb/s (625MB/s).

-Wolf sends

OK thanks for your response to my inquiry, then I feel it is safe to assume any card of this type will face the same limitations, I have seen some fast 2.0 usb pci card advertised. My best effort will be to research and find one of them.
Thanks
Ka3ebe
October 15, 2012 7:33:10 PM

USB 2.0 was within the limits of PCI, but USB3 is way over it.

It will work, just at reduced speeds.

Kind of like running an X16 video card in an open 4x slot.

Still better then USB 2.0.

I still personally find USB3 to be a bit buggy.

I have 3 boards with USB3 and they all act different.

-X58A UD5(NEC) will use any cable and has been tested upto 12 feet(6 foot extension + 6 foot cable). This board just works with anything I connect to it.
-H55N USB3(Renesas) will go full speed upto 6 feet of cable then drop to USB2 speeds, but the connection is solid.
-Maximus IV(Asmedia) Gene-Z will go up to about 6 feet, any more seems to cause it to disconnect very often(mid transfer). My front port USB3 has never worked right yet(Still trying to determine if it is a cable issue or not.). The only thing I have noted is that ASmedia in USB2 mode will give far better performance then any usb controller I have ever seen.

Flash drives work on ALL the systems fine(not the front ports on the Maximus, it just drops at random times, again may be a cable issue, but I have got 3 from Silverstone and one from Startech that all do the same thing. I have a very short ngear one that works, but it is so short it will not make it out of the case)

Asus is more then willing to RMA over this, so if I can not get it sorted(I dont want to send them a good board because I have bad cables), I hope it can be fixed that way and is not a ASmedia limit

EDIT

Also, please remove your e-mail from your first post because spam bots will pick it up and add you to many mailing lists.
!