What card should I use with a VIA chipset?

R_Andersen

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
I have a T-bird 1000 an an abit KT-7 with the VIA (KT133) /VIA 686A chipset. I am looking to buy a sound card and was wondering what will cause the fewest problems with this chipset? I was originally just going to purchaser a SB live due to the price, but know I hear it is incompatible with the VIA chipsets. I'm not looking to spend a lot (less than $40), I just need something that will work properly and give me decent sound with this damn VIA board.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob A.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, right now i am sitting on the same board (its "A" edition though) with 7.5x133 TB, in WinME, running Ensoniq (SB64-128 chip) playing MP3s (nice cosmo music;) and suggesting you to get the same SB128 thing, all Windows OSs see it and run with default drivers without any hickups, I used to have MX300 on it, but took it off and put it into P3 system which is my work Win2k PC. Of course its sound is not as nice as MX300, but runs all i need there and is cheap.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz that's running perfectly with my Abit KT7A.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
You might try the Fortissimo II card. It runs right at $40.

I agree. Hercules is supposed to have new drivers out this week, too. That should help a bit.

I'd stay away from Creative's cards. You shouldn't have any compatability problems, but their products in general are overpriced and have very poor drivers.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"I'd stay away from Creative's cards"

At one time, Creative had very good cards.

I have fond memories of Wing Commander and Prince of Persia 2 using a SBpro...

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well this might not help but <A HREF="http://www.canadacomputers.com/audio.html" target="_new">Canada Computers</A>, a Canadian online store, sells the Santa Cruz OEM for $59 CDN or approximately $40US.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have a Soundblaster live running with no problems on a Via (intel CPU) chipset I have also installed many on several other Via boards (including AMD CPU. I have found that they like the Soundcard on slot #3, with its own IRQ. If you did want the features (EAX, 4 pt surroundsound, digital output, etc, it is a good card. If you only have a 2 speaker setup, don't do any sound editing, and don't play any games, the Ensonic will do you well.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crystal soundchips tend to work well with VIA motherboards and are available at all levels. Look into the Turtle Beach and Hercules lines (they both have a couple good cards for $40 or less). Also consider ESS Canyon 3d cards, they produce excellent sound at bargain prices.

Back to you Tom...

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"Fond memories are what sell there latest load of crap"

Yes, I am acutely aware of the problem. That's why I said (specifically) 'At one time'.
The world changed, but Creative hasn't.

Two bad I live a couple of blocks from their headquarters...

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
For Intel, I use the Tyan Trinity 400 (S1854) board with the VIA Apollo Pro133A Chipset.

For the AMD, I use the Tyan Trinity KT (S2390) which uses the VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset.

If it works for you then don't fix it.