Something Broke: CPU or Motherboard

CimmarioN

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hope I'm posting in the right place, but here's everything:
System just under 1yr old, mobo or CPU dead – please help me determine which.

PSU: Corsair HX650 (80+Gold)
Mobo: ASRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (1155) Mobo
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 4x2GB kit, 1600 7-8-7-24 @ 1.6V (Model F3-12800CL7Q-8GBRM)
GPU: EVGA GTX560Ti SC
HDD: Seagate ST3500413AS (500gb SATA3, on Intel SATA3 port)

System ran without issues until 2 days ago, current symptoms are:

RAM – BIOS and Windows System Info/Task Manager only read 1 pair @ 4GB (BIOS reads only slots 2/4 for dual-channel with all 4 sticks installed, in all RAM configurations only supports 1066/1333, and not XMP1.1 profile 1600). Memtest 86+ reads and tests fine for all 4, each individually in all slots, and all pair configurations in both single and dual-channel mode. CPU-Z detects 8GB (Memory Tab), as well as JDEC 533/609/685(1.5V) and XMP1600(1.6V) options (SPD Tab). More: Have manually set 1.5V/1.612 with no other RAM speeds

iGPU – BIOS does not allow me to set iGPU as default graphics device, only options are PCI/PCI-e. iGPU not detected for POST display or within Windows, cannot install Intel VGA drivers (Error running Setup.exe: This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software).

I’m not sure whether this is CPU or motherboard, due to all components affected being on-chip (IMC and iGPU). Please let me know if there are any other tests or more info required to help diagnose this problem.

Thanks in advance to all who can help.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I've noticed to you upped the voltage on your RAM to 1.6V. Can I ask why? It should be set to 1.5 because you havent OC it. And I've had problems when touching the voltage on my RAM as we have the same kit, Also have you tried clearing the CMOS? If you havent try that and see if that fixes anything.

CimmarioN

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I've noticed to you upped the voltage on your RAM to 1.6V. Can I ask why? It should be set to 1.5 because you havent OC it. And I've had problems when touching the voltage on my RAM as we have the same kit, Also have you tried clearing the CMOS? If you havent try that and see if that fixes anything.

Yes, I've cleared CMOS since the issue, and the RAM XMP is 1600@1.6V which I've previously used in this configuration with manual timings (reference: http://gskill.com/products.php?index=243 ). Since effectively losing 2 sticks I've reduced it to 1.5V, switched to auto-timings (as well as previous settings). The bigger concern centers around the 2 missing modules and iGPU.

Regarding the hardware swap: I don't have another 1155 CPU or Motherboard, nor local friends on the platform for testing. I guess I can look for local shops to get test quotes, though I'd prefer an option I can follow from home (free helps too).

Thanks for contributions, and keep those ideas rolling in!

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I dont think the CPU would cause the iGPU not to show but like you said you havent been able to install the drivers due to a failure. When I've had problems in the past as a last resort I've reformatted and done a fresh install of windows to rule out any OS or software issues, as most of the time thats the problem. If you have the opportunity to I would format and reinstall windows and try and then try and install all chipset drivers and everything else needed.

have you made sure your mb has all of the bios updates?? with the newer intel cpu and chipsets there a setting in the bios under the primary display option. called muilt monitor support/mvp/lucent chipset. most motherboards by default have this disabled. with it disabled only the gpu video card will be on. once you turn that on and anything under that setting that for video to enabled and reboot the ipgpu should turn on. it show up under device manager.

CimmarioN

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
abCasPeRR - After the CCMOS, Memtest, and Prime stress testing, I've reinstalled windows (and run tests again)

amuffin - I've unfortunately just read that info over the past few days, also that anything over 1333 may have similar impact

smorzio - I've been current since (I believe) the July BIOS update last year, and have attempted a re-flash just to make sure that wasn't my issue. Also, I don't remember the exact tab, but I believe the ASRock option is "IGD Multi-Monitor Support" which does not exist as a menu option (nor does default primary display adapter - iGPU)

CimmarioN

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Swapped in an i3-3225, slight change but still issues, now:

With all 4 sticks Dr Debug reads code 55 (No Memory Installed)
With any pair in either single-channel mode (slot 0/1,2/3) code 55
(Passed Memtest on next 2 that booted)
With any 1 stick in any slot gives proper single-channel mode
With any pair in either dual-channel mode (slot 1/2,1/3) gives proper dual-channel mode

So that's new, though iGPU options still do not appear (IGD Multi-Monitor Support, or Primary Display Adapter)
RMA Time for the motherboard just a few days under a year, hope they don't try to drag it out.