New Computer Build starts then immediately restarts

johntsmith61

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Just finished my new computer and when I power it on - the fans all start then the CPU fan then all stops and restarts - over and over and over.

johntsmith61

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

thanks evilqueens, I'm at work - will list system specifics tonight - will also try proven good power supply.

johntsmith61

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Ok, I just put together a new computer using:
- Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower
- Corsair Enthusiast TX750 V2 PSU
- Western digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD
- Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 1155 CPU
- 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory
- Biostar Motherboard TP67XE
- Gigabyte AMD Radion HD 7850 @ GB Graphics Card

I put it all together - plugged it in and the fans powered on - I got LED's then the CPU fan started and it all stopped and started over - and keeps repeating this process. I tried another PSU and got same results. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEEEEZ

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

This is not entirely true. It will not natively support Ivy Bridge - but a BIOS update should allow it to. Now, if there is a simple way for [strike]Gigabyte[/strike] Biostar (sorry, I was quickly skimming your specs, and saw a Gigabyte video card but thought it was the motherboard vendor) boards to flash their BIOS then you should have no problems with the build.

However, if you can't - you're going to either need a Sandy Bridge processor or a Z77 Express board to run your current processor.

ah, alright thanks. I thought the BIOS update only applied to Z68 boards

johntsmith61

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Thanks for the info - since I'm obviously not too smart - how do you update a BIOS on a MB that won't POST or even power up?

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Yes, this is the crux of your problem. I know ASUS boards have a very nifty feature that allows them to have their BIOS 'flashed' from a memory stick. All you need is ATX standby power (no CPU/Memory/GPU needed). You simply hookup a memory stick loaded with the properly-named BIOS file for the board, and push a button.

The Biostar board that you have, unfortunately doesn't have this feature. Your solutions now include:
a) returning the board, and getting a Z77 Express chipset board instead
b) returning the processor, and getting a Sandy Bridge processor (Gen 2) instead
c) taking the board to a local repair shop or a friend, and having them boot with a Sandy Bridge processor and update the BIOS for you

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Glad to hear it. This is probably the best option - as now you can use the extra features that come with an Ivy Bridge processor.
Cheers!