Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Build starts then immediately restarts

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2012 12:09:44 AM

Just finished my new computer and when I power it on - the fans all start then the CPU fan then all stops and restarts - over and over and over.
October 15, 2012 12:18:23 AM

Can you try using a different power supply? Make sure all the RAM modules are seated properly.

Also, please post specifics of your build so that we can troubleshoot more effectively.
October 15, 2012 7:48:46 PM

evilqueens said:
Can you try using a different power supply? Make sure all the RAM modules are seated properly.

Also, please post specifics of your build so that we can troubleshoot more effectively.

thanks evilqueens, I'm at work - will list system specifics tonight - will also try proven good power supply.
Related resources
October 16, 2012 5:38:42 PM

Ok, I just put together a new computer using:
- Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower
- Corsair Enthusiast TX750 V2 PSU
- Western digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD
- Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 1155 CPU
- 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory
- Biostar Motherboard TP67XE
- Gigabyte AMD Radion HD 7850 @ GB Graphics Card

I put it all together - plugged it in and the fans powered on - I got LED's then the CPU fan started and it all stopped and started over - and keeps repeating this process. I tried another PSU and got same results. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEEEEZ
October 16, 2012 9:24:39 PM

What you have there is a P67 board, I'm fairly sure it will not work with the new Ivy Bridge CPU.

Return that one and grab a Z77 board (Asrock, Asus or Gigabyte), I believe it will be only a little bit more expensive.
October 16, 2012 11:13:19 PM

AntiZig said:
What you have there is a P67 board, I'm fairly sure it will not work with the new Ivy Bridge CPU.

Return that one and grab a Z77 board (Asrock, Asus or Gigabyte), I believe it will be only a little bit more expensive.

This is not entirely true. It will not natively support Ivy Bridge - but a BIOS update should allow it to. Now, if there is a simple way for Gigabyte Biostar (sorry, I was quickly skimming your specs, and saw a Gigabyte video card but thought it was the motherboard vendor) boards to flash their BIOS then you should have no problems with the build.

However, if you can't - you're going to either need a Sandy Bridge processor or a Z77 Express board to run your current processor.
October 17, 2012 2:07:52 PM

evilqueens said:
This is not entirely true. It will not natively support Ivy Bridge - but a BIOS update should allow it to. Now, if there is a simple way for Gigabyte boards to flash their BIOS then you should have no problems with the build.

However, if you can't - you're going to either need a Sandy Bridge processor or a Z77 Express board to run your current processor.

ah, alright thanks. I thought the BIOS update only applied to Z68 boards
October 18, 2012 12:12:55 AM

evilqueens said:
This is not entirely true. It will not natively support Ivy Bridge - but a BIOS update should allow it to. Now, if there is a simple way for Gigabyte boards to flash their BIOS then you should have no problems with the build.

Thanks for the info - since I'm obviously not too smart - how do you update a BIOS on a MB that won't POST or even power up?
October 18, 2012 12:39:52 AM

johntsmith61 said:
Thanks for the info - since I'm obviously not too smart - how do you update a BIOS on a MB that won't POST or even power up?

Yes, this is the crux of your problem. I know ASUS boards have a very nifty feature that allows them to have their BIOS 'flashed' from a memory stick. All you need is ATX standby power (no CPU/Memory/GPU needed). You simply hookup a memory stick loaded with the properly-named BIOS file for the board, and push a button.

The Biostar board that you have, unfortunately doesn't have this feature. Your solutions now include:
a) returning the board, and getting a Z77 Express chipset board instead
b) returning the processor, and getting a Sandy Bridge processor (Gen 2) instead
c) taking the board to a local repair shop or a friend, and having them boot with a Sandy Bridge processor and update the BIOS for you
October 18, 2012 8:08:00 PM

Thanks again evilqueens, I'm going with the Z77. I'll let ya know how I make out.
October 19, 2012 3:23:29 AM

johntsmith61 said:
Thanks again evilqueens, I'm going with the Z77. I'll let ya know how I make out.

Glad to hear it. This is probably the best option - as now you can use the extra features that come with an Ivy Bridge processor.
Cheers!
!