Fine-tuning my 1300-1400 build.

Midel

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hey guys, I've been on this forum for awhile and have reading many threads. I was hoping you guys can input your advice and opinion on my build.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 month from now

Budget Range: 1300-1400 +/-100 US, after rebate before shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I live near a Microcenter so hopefully I can get some parts there. But any online sites will do.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No preferences, as long as its reliable.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've never had a gaming PC and thought that it is time to finally get one. I've always wanted to play all these new games that comes out but unable to do so due to having a laptop that is not able to play games.

The following is what I have in mind so far: PCPartPicker

-I was hoping you guys can give some opinions or advice on what I need to change to better my build in terms of usage and reliability.
- Also, if I can find a sapphire 7970 gz edition, would you recommend me sticking to just the 7970 or the gz?
- The reason I chose the D-14 cooler is because I know the case I chose is a bit low on the airflow given that it was designed to be a "silent" case. I know I can go with other cases but I do like the Fractal R4's design.
- I wasnt too familiar with which PSU to get so I was hoping you can suggest me one.

Thanks for all your time and help.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Why is there an OS in your parts list when it says "No" on "Do you need to buy OS"?

Everything looks great actually, you've done good research.

The GHz is worth the extra pay for it. Especially if you get your hands on the Vapor-X which is almost always out of stock.

If that's your only purpose for the cooler, then a 212 EVO would suffice. If you'll be overclocking too, keep the Noctua.

The Capstone is okay. There are probably cheaper alternatives though.
If you're getting a GHz Edition, and will add another for Crossfire in the future, you'll need 850w.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=50802&vpn=OCZZ850M&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63239&vpn=P1850SNLB9&manufacture=XFX

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

I did. Two actually, in my previous post.
By okay, I mean the Capstone is great. I just pointed out there are cheaper alternatives if you wanted to save some cash. :)

Midel

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982

might be a better GPU choice, slightly cheaper and better cooling

Im sorry, but that is the difference between the card I chose and the one you suggested besides what you stated. I am totally confused given that they are both from the same 7970 and from same company?

@Excella2: Oh you did, my bad again...

Edit: Oh, the one you posted has the "OC" to its name. Does that make a difference between them?

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Nothing much.
Mostly just their own revised stock clocks, custom cooler, possibly warranty; then there's the subjective reliability, quality, customer support.

The one jrgong linked is a card that has reference cooling, and since it's OC it has higher stock clocks. Yours has reference cooling and unspecified stock clocks, so I really question why it's $30 more expensive.