Sign in with
Your question

Can someone recommend me a monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2012 6:46:54 PM

Hi guys, i've currently got an http://uk.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6850_DC... graphics card, and i've currently got it hooked up to an old VGA 1680x1050 iiyama prolite monitor using a DVI to VGA adapter in the DVI-I port, I'm looking to upgrade to a dual monitor setup, preferably both 1080p screens, refresh rate and response time mean very little to me. My budget is £180 for both monitors (poor student is poor) could someone recommend me a couple that would be compatible with my card? Thanks Alot.

More about : recommend monitor

Related resources
August 21, 2012 7:04:13 PM

as long as you have 2 dvi or vga ports they would work.

Those are a bit cheaper it seems. both are a good pick. I just like the 23+ inch. I want to go even bigger next upgrade.
August 21, 2012 7:05:50 PM

HP/Dell/LG/Samsung make some really nice monitors. Stay away from brands like Acer/Hanns-G/ViewSonic. Get at least 22"
August 21, 2012 7:24:21 PM

Okay thanks. Any reason you don't recommend those brands?
August 21, 2012 7:33:46 PM

I worked with all 3 of them (because they were cheap as dirt) at a former job, and each time a monitor went out I wanted to beat my head against a brick wall. They are cheaply made, picture is not as clear, Acer has customer service that is ungodly crappy, though verizon still takes the cake, Hanns/Viewsonic customer service was OK but there were just crappy built products.
August 21, 2012 7:39:33 PM

What's your view on Philips and BenQ?
August 21, 2012 7:44:04 PM

vijatoffee said:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/10918975/art/lg/e2351vr... looking at getting a pair of these

It looks pretty. Is there a store you can go to to actually see the monitors? I have never actually seen that monitor in person. That's the best way to judge.

I have two of these I made my boss buy me for work:

Dell 23" LED LCD Widescreen Monitor ST2321L

And I have two of these at home that I need to upgrade, but still provide a great picture after almost 3 years:

HP 20" LED LCD Widescreen Monitor (cant remember model off the top of my head.)
August 21, 2012 7:50:45 PM

vijatoffee said:
What's your view on Philips and BenQ?

Cant say about Phillips. Truthfully didn't know they made monitors....

BenQ? Have never heard of it, probably a new company/brand and I would definately not trust it. Phillips...maybe?

But I also like to spend a bit more to get something that will be a bit nicer and last a bit longer. Especially with something like a monitor. Monitors will never go out of style until we have holodecks or some such. My 20's are still kickin strong, but I just want something bigger to game on since I am moving away from the PS3. I will be giving them to my girl and letting her use them for her laptop though.
August 21, 2012 7:58:39 PM

Yeah, They're fairly common brands, maybe more so here in the UK than the US? BenQ have been around for quite a while. And yeah, the monitor I have at the moment an iiyama prolite 20" 1680x1050 running for about 8 years every day, and the image is still as solid as I can remember it, but I think its about time for a change. Have you really experienced much with Monitors that have deteriorated / broken? because i've never had such an issue, lucky I suppose.
August 21, 2012 7:59:03 PM

The office I work in is full of Acer and ViewSonic monitors. The Acers colors are awful and they are constantly breaking. The ViewSonics are so blurry I don't know how anyone can stand to look at them all day. I would definitely avoid both brands.
August 21, 2012 8:06:44 PM

I have had Acer monitors for years. i love them. I run 2 with a 6950 and it works great...
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2012 8:07:54 PM

BenQ is a company that at one time made good projectors. ViewSonic used to make excellent professional VGA (glass) monitors. I can't recommend either of their monitors.

I use a Dell U2412M and it's awesome - but out of your price range
!